AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your latest anime purchases!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
I still think it would sell. Razz

Hey, if you marketed it right you could probably get people to buy bags of crap. Actually, if you want to get technical, they already do! People buy manure for fertilizer.

So yeah, someone would buy a musical George Foreman grill, and think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... Wink
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone sells a musical George Foreman grill, we know that person has been to this forum and read this thread. And yeah, he'll probably make tons of money too...
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just a musical George Foreman grill... It's an ANIME musical George Foreman grill.

You see, that's what makes it appeal to a niche market!

Actually, I could probably make more money by opening an anime store that sells hamburgers.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again, some more new stuff.

This months Animage came with the plastic Athrun Zala (SEED Destiny - its the image from last months cover), HiMM and Full Metal Alchemist cards. G's came with a Futakoi supplemental and that other plastic card with the huge speach bubble. Compatiq had a set of Shuffle postcards.

Here is a close up of the Kotobukiya Rin figure, with the previously released Kotobukiya Saber.
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ *drools*

.. and here I am probably making the n00b mistake going the R2 DVDs route.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
^ *drools*

.. and here I am probably making the n00b mistake going the R2 DVDs route.

I've got maybe 40-50 R2 DVDs (24 of those are the whole run of Kodomo no Omacha TV Very Happy). I used to buy them quite regularly, but it got to the point where pretty much everything I was interested in was being licensed for a US release, even a lot of what I thought was odd or niche stuff (I never though Panyo Panyo DiGiCharat would have seen the light of day in the US), so it was getting pretty silly spending twice as much on half the content without subs (predominantly, I suppose the Ghibli disks, Kuromi and Saikano were subbed) when I could just wait for the US release and grab twice as much anime.

I have been a few R2s again recently, mainly My:HiME because I love that show a rediculous amount and would be quite happy to buy the series over again for the US release, and I'm getting a kick out of rewatching it in such high qualitiy (I can't imagine the video being as good on the US release anyway - I'll probably end up ripping the subs of them and burning disks with the frankly stunning R2 video and sound with the subtitles onto some dual layers DVDR).
moyism

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ interesting. That's basically my plan, really only purchasing DVDs that will never see the light of day in the US. I currently only see myself collecting all of AIR and probably Futakoi Alternative. Knowing my luck, AIR is going to be like licensed just as the R2s finish being released. Futakoi Alternative dunno, as it may have a possiblity for US goodness...

.. I just hope there won't be any really really good anime coming out that'll make me go "BUYING THAT NOW!" if no US release is possible after summer ends. The "vast" moy fortune can't keep taking the hit ^_^;; If only the US version had all the cool extras the japanese ones do, I'd think the anime DVD market do better. I mean, that's 1/3 of the reason why I'm willing to pay so much for the R2s! Wonder why US companies don't do it?

*waiting two more weeks before AIR 5 and Mai-HiME 6 arrives*
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
.. I just hope there won't be any really really good anime coming out that'll make me go "BUYING THAT NOW!" if no US release is possible after summer ends. The "vast" moy fortune can't keep taking the hit ^_^;; If only the US version had all the cool extras the japanese ones do, I'd think the anime DVD market do better. I mean, that's 1/3 of the reason why I'm willing to pay so much for the R2s! Wonder why US companies don't do it?

It's partly our own fault (fans in general) as we demand higher episode counts per disc yet still demand high quality video on them. Something's gotta give and often it's the extras. (Although I really question the logic of tossing out cool Japanese extras to put interviews and commentary tracks with the English cast on the discs. I really can't see the point, even if I was a dub fan I think I'd rather have nifty extras than boring interviews with people who weren't involved in originally creating the show.)

Another reason is licensing. Sometimes they can't get the rights to the extras. This can be because the Japanese company fears reverse importation (Japanese fans buying the US releases and importing them because of a higher episode count per disc) or just that it would cost too much to get them.

And there's also greed playing into that. I remember reading a short while back about some company (I think it was ADV) saying they remove most, if not all, of the extras for box set releases. The reasoning being to try and force people to buy the more expensive single discs as they come out instead of waiting for a box set. Sorry guys, the people who will buy the individual DVDs do it because they love the series dearly and aren't willing to wait a few more years to save a few bucks on it. I know I bought Martian Successor Nadesico as it came out and don't resent the extra money I spent over the eventual box set cost. I do wish I'd had the option to buy an empty box for my set later on though.

Oh yeah, I think Futakoi Alternative's got a decent change at being licensed. It's hilarious, has some nice drama, and doesn't rely solely on a cast of lots of bishoujo as its main selling point so it should do well here. Heck, you can watch the first episode without knowing a word of Japanese and still end up laughing so hard you collapse. Smile
moyism

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think out of my limited US anime DVD experience, RightStuf has done the best job. Standard 3-4 ep count, all(?) the video omakes, and reversable covers are some of the pluses I can think of; only going on their release of Comic Party though.

I remember I was pretty shocked to find the cast interviews and the 5-min "ovas" on the discs. I also enjoyed reading through the booklet insert where they try to describe all the in-joke parodies that are throughout the series. I don't think I've seen so much effort and quality from the other DVDs I have (then again, that's mostly ADV).

I remember reading somewhere about recent DVD reviews (think it was AoD), that Geneon is getting a bit better about the extras. So there's some hope that eventually, the US release won't get as screwed compared to its older japanese brother. Smile
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
I think out of my limited US anime DVD experience, RightStuf has done the best job. Standard 3-4 ep count, all(?) the video omakes, and reversable covers are some of the pluses I can think of; only going on their release of Comic Party though.

I remember I was pretty shocked to find the cast interviews and the 5-min "ovas" on the discs. I also enjoyed reading through the booklet insert where they try to describe all the in-joke parodies that are throughout the series. I don't think I've seen so much effort and quality from the other DVDs I have (then again, that's mostly ADV).

I remember reading somewhere about recent DVD reviews (think it was AoD), that Geneon is getting a bit better about the extras. So there's some hope that eventually, the US release won't get as screwed compared to its older japanese brother. Smile

RightStuf does tend to do a good job in their releases I have as well.

I've seen some of the recent Geneon ones and they are definitely improving. I think they did the Onegai Twins! release and there's 2-5 image songs on each volume under extras. That's really cool. Smile

Actually most companies do a decent job on extras nowadays except... ADV. You know, I'm not trying to bash them but it's just the truth. It's really odd that the company that fans have the most complaints about (most of them legit) is the one wailing doom and gloom all the time. You'd think they'd figure out the connection... Razz Heck, Tokyopop managed to finally learn from their earlier mistakes (which were huge), why can't ADV? (I'm not saying Tokyopop is perfect, but compared to some of the stuff they pulled earlier on they're saintly nowadays.) ADV seems to be the company most likely to toss extras for English commentary tracks and interviews with English cast as well. They've also started listing the English cast first in credits which bothers me personally. (It's kind of a slap in the face to the people who originally made the show is how I feel about it.) ADV titles almost never properly honor my DVD player presets, defaulting to English audio even when I have Japanese set as the default, and even if it somehow decides to honor that one it'll pick the wrong sub track (giving me just signs, OPs and EDs unless I change it). I really don't understand why it's so hard for them to honor my player's preferences!

I think Viz has even gotten better with extras, but I couldn't swear to it. I only have some of their Ranma DVDs (bought a couple of years back) and am not terribly interested in their other titles.
moyism

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank god about the ADV jumping track thing! Man, I thought I was the only one that had the same issue. Watching Kaleido Star and Azumanga Daioh in marathon mood sucked after constantly switching back to the "right" audio Sad

Good to hear about other US DVDs. I think I can understand having the English cast interviews as just as much as we'd love to see the japanese ones, there are folks that follow the english actors/actresses. And as for the commentary tracks, I personally never cared for them but each to their own.

Just another never-ending battle of wanting one thing but only getting something totally different instead. At least we should be happy the prices are getting cheaper than they were say, an year or two ago. Nowadays recent releases are hitting the $20 point, and if one is willing to wait can get them cheaper (ala DDD, amazon, animeonestop, etc). Now is definitely a fine time to be an anime fan and things can only get better... I hope Smile
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know whose DVDs I can't stand?

Disney.

Friggin ads, long menu animations, lame interviews with the English voice cast, and subtitles in a yellow color that blends in.

I'm getting all my Miyazaki stuff from Taiwan now.
Jehuty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish some companies would learn to hire a QC to check their subtitles. Bandai also has a weird habit of putting in dubtitled.. why would ppl who are watching the dubs need DUBTITLE!! It really pissed me off when Im watching the original Japanese audio and its not subtitled properly(and I spend $200 on it >.<), but it was dubtitled instead. Wth were they thinking...
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If companies package their DVDs like the ones Media Blasters did with Otogizoushi, I'd be a loyal customer. The first volume included a second disc for the extras, including a round table discussion between the creators. I think I paid just the same as the regular prices. And I think they did a great job with Samurai Deeper Kyo and Juuni Kokki.

Sometimes I get great deals with ADV releases but I can't say I'm partial to this company. If not for my enjoyment of certain series like FMP and kaleido Star, I'd rather not purchase items from them. >_<

Ugh, I remember my utterly n00b-ish days when I used to think those HK dvds were in fact the real thing. I've got a bunch of them collecting dust in the garage...
Tensai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehuty wrote:
I wish some companies would learn to hire a QC to check their subtitles. Bandai also has a weird habit of putting in dubtitled.. why would ppl who are watching the dubs need DUBTITLE!! It really pissed me off when Im watching the original Japanese audio and its not subtitled properly(and I spend $200 on it >.<), but it was dubtitled instead. Wth were they thinking...

Mmm, that may explain why the subs on Cyber Formula are so bad. I bet they originally intended to dub it, but scrapped it at the last minute and just issued it with the CC track.

I also wish they would figure out that subtitles don't need to take up 10% of the screen. It really pulls you out of the show more often than not. I really love unobtrusive subs.

I just hope that Mediablasters does a good job with their AMG releases, I've only ever seen one thing that they produced (Invader Zim) and was pretty pleased. Then again, always got the fan-subs to fall back on.

-Tensai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208  Next
Page 6 of 208

Jump to: