AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you stay sane at work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if work wasn't bad enough now I get to deal with inconsiderate jerks for coworkers (at least some of them) and over sensitive secretaries. Why do I feel like I'm the only sane one around here sometimes?

What triggered this was problems with the fridge. Our current offices are new, they were built into part of what was the old bus garage this spring. (Well some of them, I'm still stuck out in a side room off the old garage with no air conditioning. Room's underground too so no windows but not far enough underground to benefit from cooling..) Until recently I'd not had any problems with things I left in the fridge. Last week I found someone had drank half of a 32oz Powerade I had left in there the day before which ticked me off so I started writing my name on bottles I put in there to make it damned clear they're not up for grabs. When I got the last partial one I had in there out earlier I found someone had marked out my name and written "public" on it. Now that's going too far, that's blatant theft. So, I asked the secretary what the policy was on stuff in the fridge, was it considered community property or not and told her why I asked. She told me I'd have to talk to our boss (fair enough) and that she didn't guard it and had drinks dissapear too. Obviously there's a problem with the fridge and some people stealing drinks but I thought that the conversation was over with and nothing can be done until I can catch my boss to talk to hiim about it (he's already left today).

About 15 minutes later here comes the secretary with a bottle of Gatorade she bought at the gas station across from us and gives it to me telling me she just replaced it and pretty much huffed out of the room before I could even recover from the shock. Great, so not only do I have some coworkers who are jerks (stealing people's drinks, apparently deliberately if that bottle I have with my name marked out is any indication) the secretary got pissed because I asked what the fridge policy was. Apparently I can't say anything to people without them taking it wrong. Granted I'm not the world's most skilled communicator but I thought I was clear, I told her I was only wanting to know what the policy was before I said anything to our boss about it. I wasn't bitching at her, I was asking a question and I wasn't asking for replacement. *sigh*

So is this something only I have problems with or does anyone else have problems with people taking what they say wrong? I've ran into this in other areas before, and have yet to understand why. What I say is what I mean, there's no hidden messages but apparently no one believes that. The whole thing today made me feel like I'd suddenly lost all ability to communicate effectively about even simple matters. It's really upsetting. Crying or Very sad And some people wonder why I hate my job, would you want to work with people like this?

I think this is why I prefer communicating by E-mail than any other method, it's harder to misunderstand me then.

In any case my weekend's off to a bad start now and I'm not even off work yet. Evil or Very Mad
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people ask why I don't eat lunch. Well, sometimes I bring weird-looking Chinese food and I mark it in Chinese. For all they know, it could say "Lab rat samples."

My new office space has a stereo for student worker use... but it has no CD-player capability. I must say, copying a CD onto an audio tape is a pain in the behind.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
And people ask why I don't eat lunch. Well, sometimes I bring weird-looking Chinese food and I mark it in Chinese. For all they know, it could say "Lab rat samples."

Maybe get you some biohazard stickers made up and slap them on all your lunches? Smile

I don't always eat lunch but I don't bring my lunch. Even if I do and it doesn't get eaten people complain if you use the microwave to warm it up. (The way the offices are laid out all of them can smell whatever's warmed up in the microwave.)

TokenAsian wrote:
My new office space has a stereo for student worker use... but it has no CD-player capability. I must say, copying a CD onto an audio tape is a pain in the behind.

Laughing I remember doing that, I used to wind the tape forward until it was almost at the recordable section before putting it in the tape deck and would start the second side over with the beginning of the song that got cut off then let the CD repeat so there wasn't any dead space on the B side. Smile Yes it is a pain!

I don't have to deal with that, I have an iPod and listen to it with headphones. I actually managed to get in on the free iPod hysteria last year early enough to get one for free. Smile (Got a free LCD too actually. Very Happy)

The thing that bothers me the most about all of this today is that I'm saying one thing and people are apparently thinking I said something completely different. That bothers me, is it me? Am I giving off the wrong non-verbal cues or something? I know part of it may be my mindset, when I'm focused on a problem I focus on it with a lot of intensity so other things become peripheral. I first experienced that doing a fellowship in college, turns out it happens a lot with engineers and programmers on projects. But still, this worries me, it's like I can't communicate. I can't spend the rest of my life only E-mailing people.... Sad

Or maybe it's just I work with a group of people who like to complain about anything and everything. Of the two I'd prefer that, at least that means it's not all my fault and if I find another job with people who aren't like that things would be better. I just don't know which it is though. Sad
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's just people complaining and they LIKE to complain. Some people are just jerks.

LOL, I was told never to bring Chinese seafood ever again. Prawn shells! XD

I'm too wary to get into that "Free iPod" stuff. I have this thing made in Taiwan called a Bengay... er, BenQ .mp3 player.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
No, it's just people complaining and they LIKE to complain. Some people are just jerks.

At least it's not just me then, although I must say this area seems to have more than its fair share of jerks. Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:
LOL, I was told never to bring Chinese seafood ever again. Prawn shells! XD

Is that like the boiled shrimp with their eyes still intact? Had one of those while in Japan, have to admit it was a bit disconcerting. Confused

TokenAsian wrote:
I'm too wary to get into that "Free iPod" stuff. I have this thing made in Taiwan called a Bengay... er, BenQ .mp3 player.

I wouldn't do it now, there are too many of them that probably aren't legit and the legit ones are well down the pyramid where it'd be next to impossible for you to get your referrals. The offers you have to complete have changed as well so that it's next to impossible to do one without paying something. Sad

What I had before the iPod (and still have in my car) is a portable CD player that'll play Mp3s off of CD too. That works really well since you can get so much more music on a CD and the battery life seems to be longer than on most Memory/Hard Drive-based Mp3 players for some odd reason. (You'd think the constant spinning of the CD would chew through batteries like mad.)
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the fact that Chinese people don't like to waste any part of the shrimp, especially the... um, crunchy parts. I wonder why eating the shell is considered "bad."

As I've learned through the years, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You end up paying for everything somehow.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
I think it was the fact that Chinese people don't like to waste any part of the shrimp, especially the... um, crunchy parts. I wonder why eating the shell is considered "bad."

I can't say I find it appetizing myself but I don't think I'd find it disgusting or anything. The eyes bothered me more than the shell would have, it's really strange to have your food seem to be looking at you.... Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:
As I've learned through the years, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You end up paying for everything somehow.

Very true, but I really did get the iPod and LCD Monitor for free at that time. Smile I also think I was seriously lucky in that I recognized that Gratis Networks' sites were legit (at least at the time) and that the thing was just taking off in popularity so it was still possible to take advantage of it.

I do realize that for every person who gets one free there are probably 20-30 minimum who never get enough referrals so I'm sure Gratis is raking in money hand over fist, even with all the free stuff they've shipped out.

On the bright side (for Apple anyway) I'll buy another iPod in the future. I never thought about buying one, I didn't think I'd care for it terribly much but I was willing to try it out for free. I love the thing dearly now and really wish I could afford the 60GB Photo iPod model. ^_^ (Not because it's a photo one, simply because it has more storage than any other model.)
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Asian immigrants ask how Americans stand not knowing that their food is fresh... (eye color and shade can mean freshness, I guess)

I did sign up for the Gratis thing at first but never pursued it (or completed an offer). Frankly, I had no enthusiasm for the iPod since I had heard that the software had much to be improved upon.

Uh, not that the Bengay MP3 I have is any better.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Of course, Asian immigrants ask how Americans stand not knowing that their food is fresh... (eye color and shade can mean freshness, I guess)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Embarassed

TokenAsian wrote:
I did sign up for the Gratis thing at first but never pursued it (or completed an offer). Frankly, I had no enthusiasm for the iPod since I had heard that the software had much to be improved upon.

I found a conga line for it that had just recently started so that helped tremendously in getting my referrals. (In fact I was a moderator on it for some time until I ran out of time to help out.) The iPod itself is great, the software that runs on it works fine and surprises me generally. I had thought at one point you couldn't do shuffle play within a playlist, but it turns out you can and if I'd bothered to read the manual earlier on I'd have known that. Doh. Razz It's very easy to use, the click-wheel wasn't insanely intuitive to me as most people claim but once I realized how it works it's an incredible interface for the thing. Again that's in the manual but I'm not big on reading manuals generally. Smile

iTunes on the other hand out and out sucks for managing your iPod (hell it sucks for managing your music library as far as I'm concerned). I got fed up with it quickly and found some much better software, Anapod Explorer (for Windows). It's great, worth every penny I paid for it, and I've used it ever since. I highly recommend the iPod as a Mp3 player but I also recommend you don't even try using iTunes with it unless you're a masochist. Wink

TokenAsian wrote:
Uh, not that the Bengay MP3 I have is any better.

I think I've seen one and the controls looked pretty small. Sad
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of a masochist... in the sense that I take 16 credits a semester without thinking it all through.

Ever hear of iAudio?
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
I'm sort of a masochist... in the sense that I take 16 credits a semester without thinking it all through.

That's not too bad, I've known those who took 18-20 every semester. I did 20 my first semester but didn't try that again. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
Ever hear of iAudio?

Nope, never heard of it at all.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawns* Well, at least I thought through the 16 credits I'm taking this semester.

Okay, where's my big book o'Chinese poetry...? Drunk poets are always fun.

Oh, about the seafood. Some people claim that they can tell freshness just by looking at a creature's eyes.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
*yawns* Well, at least I thought through the 16 credits I'm taking this semester.

Okay, where's my big book o'Chinese poetry...? Drunk poets are always fun.

Is this sort of like Jackie Chan's Drunken Master? They write better when they're drunk? Wink

TokenAsian wrote:
Oh, about the seafood. Some people claim that they can tell freshness just by looking at a creature's eyes.

I can see that, if they blink they're definitely quite fresh! Laughing
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're just drunk... you know, like silly and... uh, drunk.
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! I can't believe I fell asleep at my work station. Thank goodness, nobody noticed. Or if somebody did, they didn't make a fuss. This is the first time I ever did this. At least this isn't a normal working day. Phew. ^^;;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: