AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hephador
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Suggestion Box Reply with quote

If you have any suggestions that you think might make these forums a better place for anime/manga fans to gather, please feel free to post them here. Smile
Mentar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Too many boards Reply with quote

Hi Heph,

I think that that's too many boards to really work out. One board for each ongoing series? This is going to stunt growth and discourage users...

I'd say make one board for RAW series and one for subbed series, and each animes should be kept at threads. At least for now.
bluemist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Mentar's suggestion.

Also, the Blogging forums being further subdivided into MT and Wordpress should be minimized too. For that I suggest just one Blogging sub-forum instead. Besides many bloggers use Google's Blogger too. Posters could optionally add up a tag in their title (ex. [WP], [MT], [Blogger]) to indicate what their topic is for. This also allows generic blogging discussion threads as well.
Hephador
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. That's something that has been and still is being discussed. But the plan for now is to leave it as is and see how it works as traffic picks up. The forums are still a work in progress and tweaks will almost certainly be made. So please keep the feedback coming. Smile
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree. Concentrate the forums into more broad areas so people aren't spread out all over the place.
Shirou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is minor, but I was wondering if you guys were planning to make a skin for phpBB any time? It seems like every other phpBB forum uses the subSilver (default) theme. Ever notice that l33t-raws looks suspiciously like this forum? Laughing
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirou wrote:
Okay, this is minor, but I was wondering if you guys were planning to make a skin for phpBB any time? It seems like every other phpBB forum uses the subSilver (default) theme. Ever notice that l33t-raws looks suspiciously like this forum? Laughing

There's actually a reason for that, if you use EasyMod to install Mods it assumes you're using the SubSilver theme and so if you change the theme you have to do more work and.... It's a bit more of a headache than it's worth in other words. Smile

That and I'm not good at designing themes, if someone wants to submit some I'll consider them, although there's a chance trying to change it will break some of the mods installed... Fun ehh?
Shirou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch... Sounds like a pain.
Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes , SubSilver is over used but it's clear and nice i think Wink
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirou wrote:
Ouch... Sounds like a pain.

Not as big a pain as installing the nested categories mod! I had to download an integrated install, couldn't figure out how to do it otherwise, it was a massive mod. The rest were small and EasyMod made them simple. Smile
chison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80regist....1500_+postis quite a lot LOL

anyway.....link exchange
a team on every sub-forum
ad team(advertisting team)
more moderater
more screenshoter
more online resource search~
money mod
more MOD

ranking system(phpbb can create group base on a member right?i think you can??can be quite fun to had anime level,like the law of ueki...you might have 天界人lv1,lv2...etc...is not much to change it by hand anyway)

z9.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
z9extend.9.forumer.com
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my personal opinion on some of this, hope 'ya all don't mind.

chison wrote:
80regist....1500_+postis quite a lot LOL

More so if you take in the fact it's really only 20 or so active posters who have done this. 80 users doesn't necessarily mean everyone is posting, as unfortunate as it is.

Quote:
a team on every sub-forum

Seriously? I don't think the forums need this yet. Animeblogger forums currently has like what, 5 moderators for all the boards which I think are plenty considering current activity. Sure maybe when the forums become more active like animesuki, AoD, etc etc but now? Nah.

Quote:

Do you mean to spread the word about this forum? Might be a nice idea but I've personally always liked the word-of-mouth mention. It gives the place a more "homely" feel...

Quote:
more moderater

Same thing as I said for the team on every sub-forum.

Quote:
more screenshoter

I'm a little lost on this one, what do you mean exactly?

Quote:

I think Matthew and Maestro are currently working on this on the main site. Give it time.

Quote:
money mod

You mean people pay to what... be moderators or something?

Quote:
more MOD

Didn't you already mentioned this? Or do you mean like more custom-ability of the forums? Like personalized skins/themes?

Quote:
ranking system(phpbb can create group base on a member right?i think you can??can be quite fun to had anime level,like the law of ueki...you might have 天界人lv1,lv2...etc...is not much to change it by hand anyway)

That might be fun to do just for kicks.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
Just my personal opinion on some of this, hope 'ya all don't mind.

I'm going to reply to this one to address both posts since it'll be quicker. Smile

moyism wrote:
More so if you take in the fact it's really only 20 or so active posters who have done this. 80 users doesn't necessarily mean everyone is posting, as unfortunate as it is.

Very true, but then again most forums have a large lurker to poster ratio so I'm not surprised. I do get depressed every now and then when the forum has a really slow day, but that's just because I want to see it succeed. (Well that and a lot of times I'm bored to death at work and wish there were more posts to discuss. Wink )

moyism wrote:
Seriously? I don't think the forums need this yet. Animeblogger forums currently has like what, 5 moderators for all the boards which I think are plenty considering current activity. Sure maybe when the forums become more active like animesuki, AoD, etc etc but now? Nah.

The structure's in place for this when it's needed. All the current moderators are Global Mods and each is assigned a category (or two in some cases). There's a group with moderator privledges for each category and the global mods are free to add people to the group(s) they're in charge of. As you said it's not needed now, but when it is, it will happen automatically, I did do some planning after all. Smile

moyism wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean to spread the word about this forum? Might be a nice idea but I've personally always liked the word-of-mouth mention. It gives the place a more "homely" feel...

First off I hope you meant homey and not homely. Razz Secondly to address Chison's post on this, you're suggesting something that's getting awfully close to spam territory. Many of the bloggers that post here already link the forums off their sites (I know, I can see the referrer logs). I'm quite sure they'll recommend the forums to others when appropriate in conversations and such. To have an "ad team" would mean going out to advertise the forum and likely in places where it was both inappropriate and unwanted. I don't want negative attention, word of mouth growth is fine. I'm unlikely to ever do this in fact as I dislike advertising on the web.

However, I will say that I would appreciate it if everyone would get the word out. Please consider linking to the forums off your blog if you don't already and feel free to link to discussions here from blog entries/etc. That's the kind of attention we do want and it fits in well with the community, which is extremely important to me. It won't be much of a community site if we do things to annoy the community after all.

moyism wrote:
Quote:
more moderater

Same thing as I said for the team on every sub-forum.

Ditto, there's plenty of mods now, more will be added as the forum grows and needs them.

moyism wrote:
Quote:
more screenshoter

I'm a little lost on this one, what do you mean exactly?

This isn't the place for screenshots, it's a forum to discuss things, not a blog/review site. Most of the bloggers here put up screenshots with all their posts (and in some cases, tons of screenshots. Wink ) and that's where they're appropriate.

moyism wrote:
Quote:

I think Matthew and Maestro are currently working on this on the main site. Give it time.

Very true, Matthew & I both have other things to do in addition to the site. In my case I have a full time job, Matthew has his blog, his fansubbing, and college to deal with as well. I may consider asking if there's anyone else with coding experience willing to help for free but I haven't reached that point yet.

Also while you can't see everything that we do behind the scenes I can give an example. I just spent the last two weeks implementing a new stats program for the site. Since it was going to use a lot of CPU time building the stats I had to develop a whole set of custom scripts to zip up the logs on the server side, then download them to a personal linux box, process each site, build the stats and upload the finished stats back to the site. I've almost finished it and it will be completely automated. This was more important than it sounds, once we do the full site launch all hosted blogs will end up sharing a common log file from the hosting provider so I have to be able to do my own stats and seperate out each site from the common log. Once I finish this I'll move on to something else.

I've also spent most of a week dealing with the jerks who both stole part of Matthew's content and spammed his Shoutbox. It took me at least 12 hours of time getting all the abuse reports typed up and filed and I still have to send a cease & desist by postal mail (I haven't had time to get it ready to go yet). I also do all the support for the blogs we host in addition to the above stuff. I guess you could say I have two jobs, one full-time and one getting damn close to it. ^_^;;;;
moyism wrote:
Quote:
money mod

You mean people pay to what... be moderators or something?

I know what he's talking about here, Boxtorrents' forum used to have this where each post would earn you so many gil and you could spend that on things like different colored titles/etc. I wasn't very fond of it so don't expect to see it here.

moyism wrote:
Quote:
more MOD

Didn't you already mentioned this? Or do you mean like more custom-ability of the forums? Like personalized skins/themes?

I think he's talking about mods to the forum. There are actually quite a few already and all are for functionality/security/etc. I'll consider others, but adding mods is not the world's easiest task and when I upgrade the forum software I'll have to reapply every one of them so I prefer to keep it to the bare minimum necessary.

moyism wrote:
Quote:
ranking system(phpbb can create group base on a member right?i think you can??can be quite fun to had anime level,like the law of ueki...you might have ???lv1,lv2...etc...is not much to change it by hand anyway)

That might be fun to do just for kicks.

This was discussed with all the Global Mods before we launched, the consensus was it wasn't needed. Since I really couldn't think of a set of interesting ranks I didn't implement it.
Willuknight
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like the money mod actually ^_^

There are ways to stop it from encouraging spam, and it is an incentive to post worthwhile topics + its great to have a virtual store ect.

Something where you could spend points on virtual box sets or City Destruction kits would be awesome Smile

Ranking system, i also agree with this. I like ranks alot ^_^ Do something otaku orientated, or perhaps something with honorific-suffixes ?

Also another suggestion, how about getting some anime themed smilies?

Just out of curiosity, what mods are already installed, for functionality?
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boards been up for an month or two, the MOD crew might want to think about closing off some deadend threads (or merging them).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: