AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intros
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm Token Asian. If you're wondering, I really am Asian. My grandparents fled from Communist China to the Republic of China (Taiwan) and my parents eventually immigrated to the United States of America. Though I am Chinese, I really don't read/write the language, though my spoken Mandarin is pretty good. Heh, don't ask me to translate the scribbling on chopsticks for you, but I can order food for ya!

The "Token Asian" thing is an inside joke at the anime club of Lehigh University. Last year, I was elected to the position of club secretary (and I still do, I was reelected) and I was the only Asian officer. Thus the name "Token Asian" was born. Ironically, I'm also the sole Asian in my department. Not many Asian history majors out there, I guess.

My blog is "Token Asian's Anime Blog" (so sue me, I'm not very creative... XD). It's original purpose was to list my thoughts on what the club was doing, but I guess I couldn't resist writing about the other anime I was watching. Oddly, my biggest source of hits is from overseas in Asia. Why, I have no clue.

Favorite anime... Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Oh My Goddess!, Robotech (okay, it's not really an anime...), Gunslinger Girl, Full Metal Panic, and a few others that I probably forgot. Manga... well, I'm reading Ichigo 100% now.

Anyway, drop me an email if you want to chat or something: tokenasian.anime (at) gmail.com
Jehuty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robotech aka Macross is a classic anime : P what are you talking about ~_~!!!
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Hey guys, I'm Token Asian. If you're wondering, I really am Asian. My grandparents fled from Communist China to the Republic of China (Taiwan) and my parents eventually immigrated to the United States of America. Though I am Chinese, I really don't read/write the language, though my spoken Mandarin is pretty good. Heh, don't ask me to translate the scribbling on chopsticks for you, but I can order food for ya!

Sounds a lot like a friend I had in college, same background as yours basically (well his parents immigrated from Taiwan when he was 5, I don't know what happened before then). He could speak Mandarin pretty well but also couldn't read it. I spent a week at his house once, it was interesting since his parents and siblings all spoke Mandarin at home. Actually it was a good experience, everyone should know what it feels like to not have a clue what's being said around you, kinda opens your eyes to the world as a whole better. Smile

Token Asian wrote:
Robotech (okay, it's not really an anime...)

Have you ever gotten to see the original version of Macross that the first part of Robotech was based off of? I have the DVD release of it that Animeigo put out (I actually preordered it, took a chance since I'd never seen it). Robotech was surprisingly faithful to Macross, more so than some other titles I can think of (Sailor Moon, Card Captors dubs come to mind). Still I preferred the original Macross better once I'd seen it, but I'm still amazed that they got away with the death of one of the main characters in Robotech on TV during that time period! That alone was a phenomal feat for a "cartoon". Smile
beerman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT Kore wrote:
Yes, yes. You can't be rid of me. You were one of the people I missed from AN since the merge, so nice to see you here too. Very Happy

I reckon...

The merge dumped over too much of the 'bottom of the barrel' posters and now it has become more of a flippin' hassle to locate or keep up a decent fansub/non-license/R2 discussion. It just...seems like a mess there. Or maybe I'm just off my rocker. But who knows...maybe I'll make a return one day.

Are you (and Bluemist) still posting there?
bluemist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beerman wrote:
Are you (and Bluemist) still posting there?

I just lurk there, and post nothing at all. Seems like threads and discussions become too repeated and it's hard to find people with really decent insights and information.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehuty wrote:
Robotech aka Macross is a classic anime : P what are you talking about ~_~!!!

Shhhhh! Those Macross purists will hear you! The story of how Robotech came into existence is actually a "political issue" among some people.

Tell me, Maestro, when you visited your friend's residence, were you scared by the giant Chinese butcher knives? There's nothing quite as scary as a little Chinese mom wielding blades bigger than her head.

I'm trying to find those Animeigo DVDs. Just a bit too busy (and poor) to pursue it lately.
rixot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
The "Token Asian" thing is an inside joke at the anime club of Lehigh University. Last year, I was elected to the position of club secretary (and I still do, I was reelected) and I was the only Asian officer. Thus the name "Token Asian" was born.

You got it easy. My friend was nicknamed Lord Yellow for being the only Asian at his high school.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Tell me, Maestro, when you visited your friend's residence, were you scared by the giant Chinese butcher knives? There's nothing quite as scary as a little Chinese mom wielding blades bigger than her head.

Didn't see any actually, but I'm sure that would be quite scary, especially if it was your Mom and she was mad at you at the time. Wink

I did see some people eat Kentucky Fried Chicken with chopsticks and clean the suckers to the bone. That was pretty amazing to me. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question is how can you not clean the bone when eating KFC? It's finger-lickin' good!

Ironically, my last name means "Yellow."
beerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:

"Wong?" Laughing
topleka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. XD I think Yang might be a better guess, but I could be wrong.

Hmm...now that I think about it, there are only two Asians in my anime club. Wow. I suddenly feel outnumbered. XD
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topleka wrote:
Hmm...now that I think about it, there are only two Asians in my anime club. Wow. I suddenly feel outnumbered. XD

At least you have one, the university I went too didn't, despite being a major one. I had more anime than most everyone I knew. Granted I got quite a bit of it from my asian friend, then wheeled and dealed in trades to amass a huge VHS fansub collection. Very Happy
beerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topleka wrote:
Ouch. XD I think Yang might be a better guess, but I could be wrong.

In the Cantonese literal sense, "wong" would translate into "yellow." It might be different in Mandarin, but I know nothing of that language.

Most of my friends are asian, and quite enamored into the anime/japanese culture. Though it's quite a shame that there isn't one fellow chinese person to share the joy with. Most of them are just crazy filipinos. Very Happy
Aleithilithos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...you guys have that few Asians in your anime club? Wow.

I think approximately half of the anime club is of Asian descent. Then again, we do have our fair share of Asians in the Lower Mainland, immigrants and born-Canadians. Case-in-point, I think half my music program in high school was also Asian.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beerman wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

"Wong?" Laughing

When you Wing the phone you get the Wong number. Anyway, that's "Huang." Oh wait, I guess it might be "Wong" in Cantonese. Um... Gung Hee Fat Choy?

Fortunately, I think we have at least three Asians in our club, none of them Chinese. I've been getting vibes from certain people that there's still some racism towards the Japanese. It seems that WWII wasn't that long ago in the minds of many Chinese people. It's sad, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21

Jump to: