AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "American I'VE artist" releases her new tunes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beerman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: The "American I'VE artist" releases her new tunes... Reply with quote

...and boy do they stink.

For the non-informed, some girl named "Stephanie" who won some "Idol contest" at last year's Anime Expo got a gig from Geneon and (supposedly) I'VE themselves to be their american artist as they're trying to branch out the I'VE label to the mainstream. Personally I think it's a dumb and pointless idea, but moving on...

An "Anime Karaoke Collection" CD has already been released, and featured are a few KOTOKO and Stephanie tracks. The latter performs in both English and (or a lack thereof) Japanese.

She briefly appeared at KOTOKO's concert at this past AX and could barely pronouce six Japanese syllables.

Some short audio clips have been posted here for those who want to witness the horror themselves.

A true bastardization to Tanaka Rie's great vocals and what were they thinking when they gave her "SHIFT?" That's a Lia song, dude. Mad
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being overly cynical I have to say that I'm not at all surprised. The US music industry seems to only care about marketability, not talent and this to them this is likely just a fad to be exploited. I mean really, while AX is a huge convention do you really expect to find quality talent off of an "idol contest" at it? The much more difficult American Idol has yet to produce a winner that's really had any impact so this seemed doomed to failure from the start.

I just hope that most anime & jpop fans will shun this, making it bomb out completely and stopping any future plans of this nature. I've not got anything against "Stephanie", but I don't think she's suited to this particular area of music.

It's kind of telling that music vocal majors have to take classes to learn how to sing other languages properly, doubt she's had them. Smile

Oh yeah as for what they were thinking -- I'm sure it was "we'll make a mint on this!" I can't see any other reason to try to introduce an (unknown) American singer to sing Japanese songs...
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I finally listened to the clips of this Stephanie. In fairness, she has decent vocals. But it's hard to gauge her range with the short clips plus the selections aren't particularly challenging (or at least those parts I've heard). As for the pronunciation, oh well... I can't say I'm in awe of her talent, though. She simply sounds generic kinda like a whole LOT of popular j-idols. I've heard better singers from karaoke bars.

Anyhow, it's hard to expect much from an "Idol" contest. =(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: