AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Moving off-topic stuff from the what you bought thread. :P Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
well how about not going off topic for five pages huh? Wink

I have ADHD, I blame it all on that, not my fault..... oooooh, shiny!!! What was I talking about again? Wink

More seriously if there's an easy way to move posts from one thread to another with PhpBB I've yet to find it. I can move them to a new thread entirely but not an existing one. I did realize I could do what I'm doing now though, copy everything into notepad then go to the other thread and do a reply so I'm doing it. Smile Now to see if everyone follows along or if they get confused... ^_^;;;

moyism wrote:
... crap, still haven't received my H&C vol 1 yet. I swear, if I get Air v6 before H&C I'm gonna shoot someone.

You might want to let us know the general vicinity you live in so we can all get the hell away from there. Wink Just in case you know... Very Happy *Makes mental note to start practicing his "he was such a nice guy, I don't know how he could do something like this" speech* Wink

TokenAsian wrote:
Oh, but I am so boring... well, IRL. Think of the guy in the sweatshirt from Genshiken minus 80 pounds.

Doesn't help much since I haven't seen Genshiken. Razz

TokenAsian wrote:
I suppose my goal would be to go back and CHANGE how high school students think.

For me it's not worth the effort, I've dealt with high school students before too and most of them have no interest in changing how they think. I'd probably prefer elementary & middle school over high school. Smile Plus I want to do research too which kinda negates the whole thing, can't really do that as a grade school teacher. Sad

TokenAsian wrote:
Outline:

I. The Ways of Asian Religion
A. Cloud Strife's Journey to the West
B. How Cait Sith symbolizes perfect Feng Shui
C. Aeris and the belief in reincarnation
D. I pity the foo' that messes with Barrett.

I foresee many angry school board meetings and parents complaining to your principal. Rolling Eyes The kids would probably enjoy it a bit more though. Smile

moyism wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:
Oh, but I am so boring... well, IRL. Think of the guy in the sweatshirt from Genshiken minus 80 pounds.

Don't worry, I'm a lot more boring IRL too. I gots nothing to talk about but random bits of anime. Other than that... yea... Crying or Very sad

Wouldn't that be because you spent ever last dollar you had (and a lot you didn't) on anime? Wink

Technically I should probably be less boring in RL but am not. I follow science news regularly (all fields, not just computers), I follow the news in general, I pay attention to politics, but I'm still boring. Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:
Is that before or after you make your students play the game and optionally watch the movie?

That sounds more like a college class' requirements. Laughing

TokenAsian wrote:
Yes, but I give them a week before the 25-page paper is due.

That's not evil, if you really want to be evil tell them they're restricted to 500-600 words and they must cover everything in detail. That was the restrictions on my first research paper in HS, too bad my subject was "Should mankind build the first permanent manned space station?". (Keep in mind this was circa 1987-1988, well before ISS was built.) I never did get it down to 500 words (ours was 500 words max, no less than 450), the final version, after spending two weeks trying to shorten it but cover the outline I was given, came in at 800+ words and it simply couldn't be shortened without removing sections of the outline completely. Fortunately my English teacher understood and didn't penalize me for it but that was the hardest paper I ever wrote. Longer's a lot easier. Very Happy

TokenAsian wrote:
BTW, this is an actual outline I have with the names and titles changed...

I can see that up till 1D, that section I'm really wondering about that section in the real outline. Laughing
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section 1D refers to how the monkey character in Journey to the West is a super-strong warrior until Lao Tzu pwns him... and some other story elements.

My other "great idea" was an American history book with manga-style illustrations. So far, everyone thinks that it's a bad idea.

Oh joy, English Evangelicalism reading this week.
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
My other "great idea" was an American history book with manga-style illustrations. So far, everyone thinks that it's a bad idea.

very bad idea. American history is already baised as is, I don't want to think how "worse" it'll get in the hands of japanese artists and/or artists that draw "manga-style" Shocked

Quote:

for a second, I thought that read "English Evangelion" leading me to think "what, they're reading the manga in college... eh?!"
animeronin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
animeronin wrote:
Now I know why I spent the last 2 days without any sleep. I marathoned reading the Midori no Hibi manga and the Pretty Face manga, given that these titles stretch across more than 15 volumes... orz...

Shocked Why didn't you take a break between series at least? Smile
Of course, I did both series on separate days. After marathoning on Midori no Hibi (it's an 8-volume, 84-"day" manga, by the way), I took an 8-hour sleep, ate, then moved on with the Pretty Face manga (a 52-chapter manga).

Wanna know how I've felt after finishing those two? Both pooped out (thus, the 'orz...' expression) and satisfied (since it was the first time I've marathoned a manga series, never mind that it was two).
moyism

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animeronin, try marathoning 19 vols of 20th Century Boys in ONE FRICKIN' SITTING.

Yes, that's right. I read probably 200+ chapters of one of the coolest mangas I've had the chance to read all in one sitting. That's about under 12 hours if I remember correctly. And because of that, missed eating lunch with one of my buds (though it's no biggie).

.... or try marathoning One Piece. I think I read like the last 1/2 of what's currently out in one sitting too. It was yet another day I started when it was dark only to finish when it was bright and sunny out! Shocked Cool Shocked
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

very bad idea. American history is already baised as is, I don't want to think how "worse" it'll get in the hands of japanese artists and/or artists that draw "manga-style" Shocked

I meant drawn by American artists in the manga-style. I figure it'll at least be biased for Americans to read. Of course, all history is biased, that's the nature of the field.

If the Victorian-era Brits had Evas, that explains EVERYTHING.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Section 1D refers to how the monkey character in Journey to the West is a super-strong warrior until Lao Tzu pwns him... and some other story elements.

You know it all sounds so much more entertaining with things like "pwns him" in there. Smile Same concept, just more entertaining. What's sad is a lot of kids nowadays would understand him being pwned quicker than if you just said he was defeated/etc. Razz

TokenAsian wrote:

Shit, that's a brilliant idea, kids will actually read it then. Smile Have you asked any librarians what they thought of it? They're likely to think it's a good idea too, after all they recognized the benefits of manga well before bookstores did. Very Happy

TokenAsian wrote:

Look on the bright side it beats having someone try to evangelize you. Wink Although the insane street preachers that'd pop up on campus from time to time were entertaining back when I was in college. Very Happy

moyism wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

History books are horribly biased already as you note, having them done in manga style wouldn't necessarily make it worse. Given the state of education in the US nowadays and how horrid most textbooks really are (a lot of science books get simple things wrong so it's no wonder our kids don't know anything) I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese artists got more right than current textbooks. Shocked Seriously though, as TokenAsian replies a bit further down, it doesn't have to be Japanese artists doing them and I would say ideally you pair an artist with a professor who's speciality is American History to produce a book like that.

Pictures have a much more lasting impact that just words too so this would likely be quite effective. My Western Civ II teacher used lots and lots of video clips, in fact it was probably about 60/40 videos/lecture and I still remember most of the things I learned in that class. Western Civ I on the other hand I remember much less of. That was a straight lecture course.

moyism wrote:
Quote:

for a second, I thought that read "English Evangelion" leading me to think "what, they're reading the manga in college... eh?!"

All right, let's really fuck the kids' brains over. Wink Make them read it and write a 50 page paper detailing all the religious themes/allegory/etc. and see how many of them have their heads explode. Laughing I just watched it this year (yes really, I somehow never got around to watching it sooner) and spent quite a bit of time reading the info online about it, including the contents of the books released with the movies. It still boggles my brain. Smile Great show, although I do have to say the last two TV episodes were totally "WTF?" I understand that's pretty much the universal opinion of them.

animeronin wrote:
Of course, I did both series on separate days. After marathoning on Midori no Hibi (it's an 8-volume, 84-"day" manga, by the way), I took an 8-hour sleep, ate, then moved on with the Pretty Face manga (a 52-chapter manga).

Well that's not as bad as it sounded initially. Smile Still a lot of manga in two days though!

animeronin wrote:
Wanna know how I've felt after finishing those two? Both pooped out (thus, the 'orz...' expression) and satisfied (since it was the first time I've marathoned a manga series, never mind that it was two).

I haven't done much marathoning on that scale at least. I watched all of Martian Successor Nadesico in two days once, I took a month to watch all of Marmalade Boy (watched 5 tapes each weekend). Hell, it took me two days to read all of Rurouni Kenshin. Shocked

moyism wrote:
animeronin, try marathoning 19 vols of 20th Century Boys in ONE FRICKIN' SITTING.

Yes, that's right. I read probably 200+ chapters of one of the coolest mangas I've had the chance to read all in one sitting. That's about under 12 hours if I remember correctly. And because of that, missed eating lunch with one of my buds (though it's no biggie).

Hehe, sounds like anime rules your life. It's more important than food, friends, sleep and being broke! Wink

moyism wrote:
.... or try marathoning One Piece. I think I read like the last 1/2 of what's currently out in one sitting too. It was yet another day I started when it was dark only to finish when it was bright and sunny out! Shocked Cool Shocked

Crap, I still haven't caught up on One Piece although the low quality scanslations haven't helped, my eyes can only take so much of those before I have to give up for a while. Shocked Your eyesight must be much better than mine. ^_^;;;

TokenAsian wrote:
I meant drawn by American artists in the manga-style. I figure it'll at least be biased for Americans to read. Of course, all history is biased, that's the nature of the field.

Along with what I said before, this has been done to some extent, although not manga style, still cartoons. Also they've done more than just American History, to wit:

Cartoon History of the World I
Cartoon History of the World II
Cartoon History of the World III
Cartoon History of the United States
The Cartoon Guide to Physics
The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry
The Cartoon Guide to the Environment
The Cartoon Guide to Sex

I find that last one to be pretty amusing, people need a cartoon guide to learn how to have sex? Wink More seriously I remember reading reviews of the History ones in Discover and Scientific American, both gave them very high ratings. They're supposedly fun, easy to read and very educational as well. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
If the Victorian-era Brits had Evas, that explains EVERYTHING.

That would be a rather interesting topic for a steampunk novel. Can you imagine Tokyo 3 as a steam-powered city? That'd be interesting to see. Smile
moyism

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
moyism wrote:

Crap, I still haven't caught up on One Piece although the low quality scanslations haven't helped, my eyes can only take so much of those before I have to give up for a while. Shocked Your eyesight must be much better than mine. ^_^;;;

It's age I'm telling you. I'll be legally blind in a few years -_-;;
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:

I thought 20th CB started meandering a little too much after the event of THAT NIGHT were revealed. Its still awesome though (I have much the same issues with Monster as well, actually - I thought it lost its way a little too much towards the end).

I'm not much one for marathoning anime and manga - the most excessive I can remember getting is watching all of Escaflowne (TV+movie) in a row with no breaks. Gaming is another matter though, I can sink a lot of time into a good RPG rather easily.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism, we're Asian, thus pretty much blind anyway...

I used to be the guy that finished a series every weekend, but those days are behind me.

I still say my book idea would sell. The hard part would be convincing people to buy it. Heck, most anime fans in the US aren't exactly the sharpest knife on the rack... if you know what I mean. "I TRADE POCKY FOR HUGS!"

Yeah... ^^;
animeronin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
try marathoning 19 vols of 20th Century Boys in ONE FRICKIN' SITTING.

Don't think I can last after doing that. Wink
Maestro4k wrote:
Well that's not as bad as it sounded initially. Smile Still a lot of manga in two days though!
I know.
TokenAsian wrote:
I still say my book idea would sell. The hard part would be convincing people to buy it. Heck, most anime fans in the US aren't exactly the sharpest knife on the rack... if you know what I mean. "I TRADE POCKY FOR HUGS!"

Yeah... ^^;
"Trade pocky for hugs" Shocked
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that my CC doesn't let me buy a single manga, but does let me buy a new LCD monitor with a 6 payments plan? o.o
moyism

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Otaku wrote:
How is that my CC doesn't let me buy a single manga, but does let me buy a new LCD monitor with a 6 payments plan? o.o

cause you're your CC company's whipping boy and they need a good laugh every now and then. jk
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because if they ever made sense they would never make money.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
It's age I'm telling you. I'll be legally blind in a few years -_-;;

Hmm, so you're saying I'm an old fart since I can't read as much at once. Razz

DiGiKerot wrote:
I'm not much one for marathoning anime and manga - the most excessive I can remember getting is watching all of Escaflowne (TV+movie) in a row with no breaks. Gaming is another matter though, I can sink a lot of time into a good RPG rather easily.

I spend a lot of time on RPGs but not at one sitting. I think my final save game from Xenosaga I was 90 hours or so but that was over 2-3 months. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
moyism, we're Asian, thus pretty much blind anyway...

That's a new one, haven't heard that before.

TokenAsian wrote:
I used to be the guy that finished a series every weekend, but those days are behind me.

That must have gotten expensive! Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:

Well that's about as bad as the T-shirt that say "I want a Japanese girlfriend" in Japanese on them. I would really hope no one actually buys those and wears them to Japan. ^_^;;;

Random Otaku wrote:

Is there some silly minimum purchase requirement on it?

TokenAsian wrote:
Because if they ever made sense they would never make money.

Nah, they make money off of people overspending so they can charge interest. They make even more off of people who can't manage credit and end up hit with lots of late fees. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 9 of 52

Jump to: