AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80's anime recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satoshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: 80's anime recommendations? Reply with quote

Depending on who one talks to, everyone seems to give differening opinions on when the 'Golden Age' of anime was. I've found as a general rule that it (almost) always seems to be the decade in which
they turned 15.

Young adults claim the 90's were the best thing for anime since sliced bread. Folks in their late 20's/early 30's claim that the 80's (or 70's) were the best ever, and things have gone downhill ever since. Kids these days refuse to watch anything that's more than a few years old.

I'm in the first category myself, and haven't watched many pre-90's shows. I Just finished watching Nadia last night, which can't earn more than an 'okay' rating from me. I'm hoping there are some shows that are better. Smile So, here's my plea to all you good folks - what anime
from the 80's or earlier stand out in your minds?

My own genres of choice are drama/comedy/romance/mahou shoujo, but I'm more than willing to go outside them for any notables.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't place any particular "Golden Age" as series I like span across a lot of time. Just some of my favorite series:

Sailor Moon
Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
Card Captor Sakura
Macross
Magic Knight Rayearth (1st Season only actually)
Chobits
Mahoromatic
Minto na Bokura (Manga only sadly, this would have made a great anime)
Marmalade Boy
Mai HiME
Zettai Shounen
Ichigo Mashimaro
Gokujou Seitokai
Ghost in the Shell (Both movies)
Megazone 23
Negima (Manga version)
Naruto (Manga version)
Pretty much every movie Studio Ghibli's ever done.

So it looks like my favorites run 80s - current time or so. I only got really involved in Anime & Manga starting in the summer of 1996 so some of my favorites predate my introduction to anime/manga fandom by over a decade. Smile

Personally I think anime & manga fandom is in a golden age now. Now is the absolute best time ever to be an anime/manga fan because it's so easy to get hold of series, even stuff that's not licensed. I remember back when I was trading with everyone and their brother (and sister!) I could meet to build up my VHS fansub collection and having to wait a year or more even to get fansubs of new series. Now I'm watching some shows subbed almost as soon as they air (Zettai Shounen is a good example, in manga Negima & Naruto are really good examples, I just got to read chapter 102 of Negima today in fact.) This isn't to say current series are better overall than past series, it's just that series are far more accessible and that's what's making this a golden age for anime & manga fans.

I may not be normal though, I tend to collect in excess. I'm not kidding when I say I have about 3000 VHS fansub tapes for example. Shocked
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to question Gokujou Seitokai. Maybe in part cause I have a thing about puppets and annoying charcters, but the most recent episodes have been lacking IMHO.

I mean they already have a sizable cast as is and go add like two more characters mid-season. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the episodes with the sub-characters' stories but the one with (forgot her name)'s younger sister... blah. And adding her to the cast, even worse! As for Kotoha Kutsugi, she's an okay addition since she was hinted in earlier episodes, but dunno... they didn't necessarily *need* to have her.

I just can't see where the series is going to go at this point other than episodic at best. I was hoping for something a bit more concrete but who knows, expectations where too high I guess. I also hate to admit it, but I'm getting annoyed with Yukari Tamura's high-pitch voice she uses for Rino. (this coming from the guy who used to enjoy 99% of her roles) =/

... but to get back on topic, I'll have to agree with Maestro. Ever since 2000, it's been a boom for anime fans (speaking specifically in N. America). I can definitely remember being surprised when Borders started to have a manga section and finding current anime DVDs at local stores. Also, prices are finally starting to get "cheap." I remember the days when I bought Eva and Tenchi Muyo $30+ a pop for 1-2 episode(s)! I was, however, probably one of the luckier ones that a comic shop owned by my cousin opened up during my late middle-school years (er.. late '90s). I was able to get anime cheap or free back then... heck, I use to do the copying of vhs fansubs for them!

if I had to spit out some titles I remember "back in the day":
- Robotech
- Rurouni Warriors
- Sailor Moon
- CCS

... probably it, before I started to buy anime myself and watch VHS fansubs.
beerman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like late-80's, but one of my all-time favourites is the Bubblegum Crisis OVA.
Tensai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mid to late 80's and early 90's...

TV
City Hunter
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Orange Road
Borgman
Nadia
Patlabor

OAV/Movies
Akira
Laputa
Bubblegum Crisis
Gundam 0080 and 0083
various Urusei Yatsura movies
Vampire Hunter D
Patlabor
Sol Bianca

And that's just off the top of my head. I stopped shortly into the 90's because nothing was holding my interest. Looking at a variety of series since then, things didn't start picking up again until the late 90's.

And for the record, I was in my 20's during that time. ^^

-Tenzai
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robotech
CCS
Nadia
Most old Ghibli stuff

That's my list... well, the short version.
Satoshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! Some things to keep in mind once I've finally cleared my already-existing backlog Smile
Yogzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this...

Project Ako

...remains one of my all time favorites and it is so 80's!! Very Happy
Tensai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention Dirty Pair as well.

-Tenzai
amishjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: 80's stuff Reply with quote

Well, I've got A-Ko, Gall Force and Dominion on LD, Gundam 0080 & 0083, Lodoss Wars, Macross Plus & Giant Robo on VHS, and Ghibli & BGC on DVD. I've gotta finalize on a format!
bakaboobie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. The ones I'm familiar with for the 80s-era aren't even 80's at all. This includes:

Daimos
Voltes V
Candy Candy
Hutch
Macron One
Ulysses
Cyborg 009
Cedie

and most of all, Princess Sara. Razz
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakaboobie wrote:
Hmm.. The ones I'm familiar with for the 80s-era aren't even 80's at all. This includes:

Daimos
Voltes V
Candy Candy
Hutch
Macron One
Ulysses
Cyborg 009
Cedie

and most of all, Princess Sara. Razz

As a kid, I absolutely loved Voltes V when I saw it in the late eighties. I think I used to memorize the OP theme. As for the angst of Daimos and Candy Candy... I had a love-hate relationship with those two. For some reason, all I can remember about Princess Sarah is Miss Minchin and Lavinia. Oh, gawd. I feel old.

I wonder if they'll still hold my interest if I see it now.
Vinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Maison Ikkoku
Kimagure Orange Road
Doraemon
Dr. Slump

I remember hunting down fansubs for Maison Ikkoku back then.....I think I went through like 8 ppl to get the whole series.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten wrote:
Oh, gawd. I feel old.

Nah, you're not old Ten, I'm probably older. _| ̄|○

Vinn wrote:
I remember hunting down fansubs for Maison Ikkoku back then.....I think I went through like 8 ppl to get the whole series.

I think I have all the fansubs of it, but I've not watched them all as I discovered after the fact that I hated it. Sad
Vinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
Vinn wrote:

I think I have all the fansubs of it, but I've not watched them all as I discovered after the fact that I hated it. Sad

~~ It's one of my all time favorite. I had to trade like mad to get the stuff that 1 person wants cause he had the whole thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: