AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genzo offers Manga Online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Genzo offers Manga Online Reply with quote

Quote:
posted on ANN:

Japanese Publisher Puts Manga Online in EnglishJapanese manga publisher Gentosha Comics Inc. announced today that they are distributing a series of English manga on their website.

On the 28th of every month they will upload chapters of 5 manga to their website, which will be available for download for 210 yen (US$1.91). Together the 5-manga will form the "Web Comic GENZO."

The July issue of Genzo is currently online, and for this month only is available for free. The reader is a small download, the manga are downloaded by the reader. There is 190 pages of manga in the July issue (33 megabytes).

The five manga included in Genzo are "Bushido" by Ken Asamatsu and Hiromoto Shinichi, "Gravitation" by Maki Murakami, "The Legend of Floating Clouds and A Peach Blade" by Enn Sachizaki, "Under the Rose -Paean of Spring-" by Akari Funato and "Special Task Force , the Battle Ship Yumihari" by Hitoshi Tomizawa.

A Japanese version of Web Comic GENZO was established in April 2004.

According to Kyodo News, Gentosha hopes this initiative will "expand sales of the copyrights of its comics abroad."

I really think this is fabulous way to gain more readers and introduce them to various titles (in paperback). Of course, the possibility of 'illegal' distribution will be an issue later on, but for now this could be great step for Japanese publishers to broaden their readership.

My primary concern right are the bundles that would be incorporated with the downloads. On their website, it says "There's no need to install anything on your personal web browser. Every month you'll download an .exe file to read the sample pages, and if you like them, you follow the directions by clicking to pay."

Um, .exe files?
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a PDF spin off? But one that you can't turn into JPG/PNG without a lot of effort, thus making it rather pointless. That's my guess.
Satoshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..just tried it out.

First plus, is that it works in Linux (under wine). It's a little slow in turning pages, though.

It has capability to play sounds..wonder if that is going to get utilised at all?

Haven't looked through the manga itself much (there weren't any titles that really stood out), but did a double take - the first story is by Ken Asamatsu. No, *not* Ken Akamatsu. :p

The pages themselves are stored in a single .joy file, which is presumably combined with a license key you get upon purchase.

I'll be checking it out more later, but if there aren't any good shoujo titles I'm probably not going to buy any future months' worth.
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A .exe file...?

Warning alarms are going off here...
Omni
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am staying away from it because of Gravitation...which is shounen-ai/yaoi...
None of those series really interest me though.
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the anime of Gravitation was pretty good IMO. great vocal cast and I could live through the yaoi-ness.
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Rose (Akari Funato) has caught my attention. I think I might like that title and Ukigumo Momojinden (Enn Sachizaki).

I think the program disables the printscreen capability. I tried to cap the screen to no avail. Anyhow, I'll probably check it out for a couple of more months and see if the series will retain my interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: