AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Creative" Imoprting of R2 DVD's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: "Creative" Imoprting of R2 DVD's Reply with quote

For several reasons Iíve finally decided to start a tiny (with my salary it will remain tiny for a long time) R2 collection, starting with my current favorites. Monster and Gundam Seed : Destiny.
I was thinking about using cdJapan, however no matter how much I beg they will not change package value from its true value to something that will not make local customs have extra work.
It's not the price of customs that Iím really afraid, it's the fact that they almost always treat packages roughly, and shift any blame on damages to the shipment itself with you not being able to prove anything. Thus you pay 17% of any package over ~60USD and sometimes get is damaged. It means awkward R1 orders, where i waste too much on shipping and NO R2 what so ever, I just don't have the heart to fork over 60USD and get the package late and damaged.
That's my sad life story, and back to the point. Do you know any shops, probably smaller shops, who are willing bend a bit for a poor man? Or maybe some store that has second hand copies? As long as the condition is N/M i dont really care. =X
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try The Jungle which sells used DVDs and CDs as well as new stuff.

Also if you use EMS shipping it's insured and if the post office tramples it to death they have to pay to replace it. Since you've obviously experienced this a few times, it'd definitely be worth the extra.
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, EMS rightfully (since the package arrived in one piece) blames customs who in turn blame EMS (which is really a bad joke since it IS EMS) or just ignore the complaint. So I still end up with a damaged package. In the end I do get a refund, but it costs so much nerves I dread going trough it every time.
Last time a doujinshi I ordered got damaged the clerk I reached with my complaint showed the local mentality : "You received your thing on package on time, and it's probably okay, so it's a bit dented, you fuss too much". I once said it was a collection item in the hopes it adds something, and got giggled at for "buying Chinese cartoons". I did get to talk to his superior and have him "reprimanded" but it took me two more weeks to get a "guilty" plea from customs so i could get a replacement.
It doesnít happen EVERY time, but it's enough every third or forth package makes me spend days trying to get what's rightfully mine. Gha.

The Jungle store does look promising, and the prices are low enough for me not to even bother asking for some "tweaking'.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly you're going to have that problem no matter what. I had to file an insurance claim just once and it was for a SCSI card I'd sent in for repair/replacement (it had a lifetime warranty on it). 30+ days later, it still hadn't arrived. When I filed the claim they tried to say that since it was defective they wouldn't have to pay, which is total bullshit since the company that made it was going to replace it with a brand new one if it wasn't fixable.

Oddly enough the card arrived exactly 2 days after I filed the claim. The timing was way too coincendental for me. I never shipped a single package from that post office ever again. I figure someone stole it, but when they saw I'd filed a claim realised their job was in danger and shipped it on to avoid getting fired. And oh yeah, the company did send me a brand new card for replacement, validating my argument completely. Smile

The only way I can think of to help resolve it might be to find someone who's a lawyer who'll back you. If you call them and they give you shit, you tell them "well look, I already talked to my lawyer because you did this in the past. Here's his/her name and phone number. They said to have you call them and explain why you won't honor your insurance." That may get you a quick change in attitude on their end.

You might be able to refuse the package if it's damaged, leaving EMS & customs to deal with an irate store. I'd ask The Jungle what they recommend you do on damaged packages, they may want you to refuse them so they can take it up with the local EMS office.
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to call on my cousin I guess. Razz

I will give scaring them a try, while i'm still annoyed it has to come to this. Inspect my packages and charge me customs fees like every other place on the globe, but at least deliver the package in one piece and dont shift blame. Am i asking for too much? Gha.

Thank you very much for your help.

Gundam Seed: Destiny Vol.1 should be making its way to my door in the next few days. Now I have to figure out how Iím actually going to pay for that. XD

What does "First pressing" mean by the way? And does it have any significance?
*has a simple hope of getting the DVD with all the extra's and in one piece*
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as man who has also recently gotten into R2, I can tell you what "First Pressing" means. Basically, think limited edition in the sense that any physical/special extras will only be available when buying that version ASAP.

I guess an easy example would be Mai-HiME. First Pressing comes with an extra calendar booklet or in recent/future releases, an figure. Now if you miss out buying the first pressing, you can still get the DVD itself but it'll be without all the cool goodies. And you know it's all about the cool goodies right? Wink
Satoshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus first pressings cost just as much as any subsquent pressings, so it's just a matter of timing. You know, send your money in *now* and receive a free doohickey! Operator 342 is standing by!

I'm a sucker for first pressings.
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for that sort of thing too...

But sorry, I can't help... Taipei is my source for R2 DVDs.
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gha, reserved. Vol.2 then.

It's stated that vol.2 is a "1'st edition", i guess it's the same thing as first pressing?
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Otaku wrote:

It's stated that vol.2 is a "1'st edition", i guess it's the same thing as first pressing?

It should be, yes. Smile
moyism

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
Random Otaku wrote:

It should be, yes. Smile

mwhahaha.. another joins the fold. Twisted Evil
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
mwhahaha.. another joins the fold. Twisted Evil

Hehe, not me unfortunately, I can't afford much nowadays. Sad I used to buy some R2 1st edition releases though. I have the 1st edition Card Captor Sakura Vocal Collection that had some nice goodies with it for one, and the 1st edition of the CCS Dreamcast game which has some absolutely fantastic goodies! (It has a clock, a spoon, a fork, a wallscroll (I think, never did quite figure that out) and a plate.)
moyism

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ actually I meant Random Otaku, but Maestro you're MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN. lol
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst of times to start indulging in the most exotic part of the hobby.

Gha, The Jungle takes no responsibility over damage caused by Customs, nor will it "change" order value. At least single second hand Vol.'s donít go over the minimum sum, and I can always pry. XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: