AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IRC FAQ
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team


Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 967
Location: Garderobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: IRC FAQ Reply with quote

Since certain individuals wanted some help on how to use IRC, figured might as well write a quick and dirty HOW-TO guide for all irc newbies out there. In this case, I'll be using mIRC but the steps are mostly the same once you get on IRC itself.

1. Download & install an IRC cilent (http://www.mirc.com/ for example).
2. Open the cilent. If it's your first time opening the program, you might get various pop-ups but close them all.
3. Go to "View--> Options" (a popup window "mIRC Options" should appear)
4. Under the Connect Tab (screenshot)
- fill in full name & email address to whatever you want (can be fake)
- under nickname & alternative, put in the nick you'll like to have on IRC (in this example, "moyism" as my first try and "miko-chan" as secondary)
5. Under the DCC Tab (mIRC Options window is still open)
- "On Send Request:", select "auto-get file" and "if file exists-> resume". You may get an popup warning asking if you really want to do it, select yes/ok. (screenshot)
- Folders Section: double click on the "default" type line. Change the folder where your downloads will go if you want (just click on the button below the "into the folder" section. In my case, I have my d/ls go to my documents folder). Repeat this step for the *.wav section if need be. (screenshot)
- Ignore Section: Under "Method", select "Accept only". As for file types, input these (one by one): *.avi, *.avi_, *.bmp, *.gif, *.jpg, *.mkv, *.mp3, *.mpg, *.ogg, *.png, *.rar, *.zip (some may already be added) (screenshot)
6. Hit Ok. Now all the above settings have been changed.
7. Under the "Status" window, type in (w/o quotes) "/s rizon". This is will hopefully connect you to the irc.rizon.net IRC server, where the majority of fansub groups are found.
8. Once connected (you'll know if you get like a long of scrolling text on the status window), type in the status window "/msg NickServ register <password> <e-mail>". <password> and <e-mail> change to whatever password you want and an e-mail that you'll actual check the mail of.
9. Check your e-mail you gave, there should be like either a link or line of code you'll have to input into IRC. If so, just copy and paste it into the "status" window and hit enter. You *should* be registered at this point.
10. For the future so you don't have to manual type in your pw everytime you log into IRC, go to "View-->Options" and under the Connect Tab, go to Options section. Click on the "Perform" button. Now under the "perform commands:", type in " /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password" where password is your password you gave before. Check "enable perform on connect". Hit ok twice. (screenshot)
11. You're all registered and set to download now!

Now to Download:
This gets a litlte difficult but once you get the hand of it, it'll be easy as pie!
1. Go to your favorite fansub group(s) irc channel. In this example, I went to animeone (to join various channels, you just type in the status window "/j <name of group". i.e. "/j animeone").
2. Varies slightly per group, but usually they have a webpage where there'll be listing of the BOTS and what can be downloaded from them.

... actually, just go to http://xrl.us/IRClg . They wrote an excellent guide there. I didn't realize that was there... it'll be alot more detail and better than my guide.

If you have any quetions or trouble with IRC even after looking at the guides, feel free to leave messages here and I'll be more than glad to help.

Edit (Maestro4k): Made the topic sticky
_________________
moyism.com | natsuki.us | haruhiism.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maestro4k
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1397

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRC FAQ Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
Since certain individuals wanted some help on how to use IRC, figured might as well write a quick and dirty HOW-TO guide for all irc newbies out there. In this case, I'll be using mIRC but the steps are mostly the same once you get on IRC itself.

I'm going to add some notes here.

moyism wrote:
1. Download & install an IRC cilent (http://www.mirc.com/ for example).

If you're new to IRC go with the mIRC client, it's extremely popular and easy to use (yes, really, there's just a bit of a learning curve to IRC in general). The nice thing about this is you'll more readily be able to find folks willing to help you on IRC using it.

moyism wrote:
2. Open the cilent. If it's your first time opening the program, you might get various pop-ups but close them all.
3. Go to "View--> Options" (a popup window "mIRC Options" should appear)
4. Under the Connect Tab (screenshot)
- fill in full name & email address to whatever you want (can be fake)
- under nickname & alternative, put in the nick you'll like to have on IRC (in this example, "moyism" as my first try and "miko-chan" as secondary)

I highly, highly recommend you do not put your real name in the Full Name field. You can put anything you like there, but know that anyone who knows your nick can see that info while you're on IRC. It's best to keep it anonymous.

moyism wrote:
5. Under the DCC Tab (mIRC Options window is still open)
- "On Send Request:", select "auto-get file" and "if file exists-> resume". You may get an popup warning asking if you really want to do it, select yes/ok. (screenshot)
- Folders Section: double click on the "default" type line. Change the folder where your downloads will go if you want (just click on the button below the "into the folder" section. In my case, I have my d/ls go to my documents folder). Repeat this step for the *.wav section if need be. (screenshot)
- Ignore Section: Under "Method", select "Accept only". As for file types, input these (one by one): *.avi, *.avi_, *.bmp, *.gif, *.jpg, *.mkv, *.mp3, *.mpg, *.ogg, *.png, *.rar, *.zip (some may already be added) (screenshot)

Be sure virus-scan everything you download before running it, this includes images (yes, there are some vulnerabilities with image files) as well as rars, zips, mp3s and movie files (all file extensions).

moyism wrote:
6. Hit Ok. Now all the above settings have been changed.
7. Under the "Status" window, type in (w/o quotes) "/s rizon". This is will hopefully connect you to the irc.rizon.net IRC server, where the majority of fansub groups are found.

IRCHighway has quite a few too, but it's more manga scanslation groups. You can use this server: /server us.irchighway.net

moyism wrote:
8. Once connected (you'll know if you get like a long of scrolling text on the status window), type in the status window "/msg NickServ register <password> <e-mail>". <password> and <e-mail> change to whatever password you want and an e-mail that you'll actual check the mail of.
9. Check your e-mail you gave, there should be like either a link or line of code you'll have to input into IRC. If so, just copy and paste it into the "status" window and hit enter. You *should* be registered at this point.

Registering your nick isn't always necessary, it will depend on the channels you're visiting and the fservs you use. If this step confuses you, skip it for now and get used to joining channels and stuff first. Once you get the hang of that come back to this. Smile

moyism wrote:
10. For the future so you don't have to manual type in your pw everytime you log into IRC, go to "View-->Options" and under the Connect Tab, go to Options section. Click on the "Perform" button. Now under the "perform commands:", type in " /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password" where password is your password you gave before. Check "enable perform on connect". Hit ok twice. (screenshot)

Ouch, this is dangerous moy, very very very dangerous. You should use /nickserv identify password (if the server supports that format, most do), or /msg nickserv (at) services.rizon.netrizon. (or services.irchighway.net, etc.) The reason this is dangerous is because if services are down a malicious person might be able to change their nick to Nickserv, if you auto-login by messaging the nick, then they get your password...

Good writeup, I'm sure a lot of folks really appreciate it. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1417
Location: Lehigh University

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good piece of advice:

Pretend that it's DOS. The logic is sort of the same.
_________________
Secretary of the Anime Club of Lehigh University (ACLU?)
Please visit my Anime Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team


Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 967
Location: Garderobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maestro, never knew that about the auto ID bit.

... well, in this case I don't care THAT much about my nick being stolen. My pw isn't really that complicated anyway. I think the "moyism" name can take some bad heat if needed. haha

Oh yea, for those still not using IRC. I was just like you non-IRC folks until two or so years ago when one of my friends gave me a quick crash course in it. Now, I get 99% of my anime that way since it's way faster than BT (in most cases). And if you're like me, who watches like 20 different series at a time then being up to date on releases is a must. IRC makes it easy to d/l what's new w/o the "slowness" of BT; plus if you're really generous you can help seed torrents after you get the d/ls from IRC.
_________________
moyism.com | natsuki.us | haruhiism.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maestro4k
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1397

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
A good piece of advice:

Pretend that it's DOS. The logic is sort of the same.

Yep, IRC started as a text only medium. For those of us who learned how to use it before graphical clients existed it's incredibly simply. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1417
Location: Lehigh University

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend: "OH GAWD, IT DOESN'T HAVE PICTURES I CAN CLICK ON!"

I've had this said to me at least three times by now. DOS and IRC confuse people used to GUIs. Too bad I don't have time to use IRC. It's actually a bit more logical than Win98.

*uninstalls Win98 and burns the hard drive (you can't just uninstall pure evil)*
_________________
Secretary of the Anime Club of Lehigh University (ACLU?)
Please visit my Anime Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maestro4k
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1397

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Friend: "OH GAWD, IT DOESN'T HAVE PICTURES I CAN CLICK ON!"

I've had this said to me at least three times by now. DOS and IRC confuse people used to GUIs. Too bad I don't have time to use IRC. It's actually a bit more logical than Win98.

But it has its own benefits, I showed a female cousin of mine how to use it and damned if she didn't meet a guy and fall in love with him. They got married about a year and a half later and are still quite happily married. So take that GUI-Only folks! Wink

TokenAsian wrote:
*uninstalls Win98 and burns the hard drive (you can't just uninstall pure evil)*

No no, Win98's not pure evil, that would be WinME. First time I ever saw a newer OS be less stable than the previous one, even from Microsoft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1417
Location: Lehigh University

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn how to use DOS and IRC... and get married!

There was one part of IRC on which I am unclear. When your file is in the "queue...?" What does "playing the waiting game" mean?
_________________
Secretary of the Anime Club of Lehigh University (ACLU?)
Please visit my Anime Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maestro4k
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1397

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Learn how to use DOS and IRC... and get married!

And who said that geeks wouldn't ever reproduce ehh?

TokenAsian wrote:
There was one part of IRC on which I am unclear. When your file is in the "queue...?" What does "playing the waiting game" mean?

I have no clue what you're asking here. If you're asking why there's a wait to download it's just that each fserv can send a limited number of files at once so you have to wait till the finish.

Oh yeah, it really sucks if you get stuck behind about 5-6 people with 28k connections. Loooooooooong waits then. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team


Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 967
Location: Garderobe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian, when it's in a queue that means all available current download slots on the bot/server is full (currently in use by other leechers like you). Most bots have a queue so once an d/l slot becomes open, the next person can d/l the file they wanted.

I can only guess the "playing the waiting game" as waiting times when you're on the queue varies. Basically factors of how many people are hitting the same bot as you, the bot's bw, and the server you're on can make waiting times short or insanely long.

Rule of thumb is if you're going after a sub that was just release, there are going to be 29348209 people like you trying to grab it too. Wink
_________________
moyism.com | natsuki.us | haruhiism.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ten
IRC Op Team


Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Posts: 305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
I can only guess the "playing the waiting game" as waiting times when you're on the queue varies. Basically factors of how many people are hitting the same bot as you, the bot's bw, and the server you're on can make waiting times short or insanely long.

D/ls during new releases can get a bit annoying at times. But I love the speeds when grabbing old(er) files. And I get bit overboard when it comes to manga dls. ^^

Anyway, I wish I had these nice instructions when I started using IRC. I had the misfortune to join a channel not very indulgent to newbies when I first started. I still cringe at the experience.
_________________
YSP: Duh!
Current pimpage: Spreading Bara no Tame ni lurvin'. Sorta.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rixot



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRC is surely fast, just be sure that if you're using a group's XDCCs that they are legit. Some groups' bots are rooted. While it would be unreasonable for the real owners of the rooted box/bandwidth to persecute the IP's that connected to that box (i.e. you when you download from the XDCC) it's not beyond the realm of possibility. This isn't an anime piracy issue, it's a "hacking" issue. This is probably just being paranoid...just something to think of when you're enjoying that fat 500+ KB/s release-time download and it's possibly coming at the expense of a victim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maestro4k
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1397

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rixot wrote:
IRC is surely fast, just be sure that if you're using a group's XDCCs that they are legit. Some groups' bots are rooted. While it would be unreasonable for the real owners of the rooted box/bandwidth to persecute the IP's that connected to that box (i.e. you when you download from the XDCC) it's not beyond the realm of possibility. This isn't an anime piracy issue, it's a "hacking" issue. This is probably just being paranoid...just something to think of when you're enjoying that fat 500+ KB/s release-time download and it's possibly coming at the expense of a victim.

This is a real problem in warez, movies and mp3s channels but I've yet to see an anime or manga group using a rooted bot for XDCC. Most of the groups tend to play more by the rules (overlooking the whole grey area of fansubs and manga scanslations) than the hardcore piracy groups. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1417
Location: Lehigh University

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
TokenAsian, when it's in a queue that means all available current download slots on the bot/server is full (currently in use by other leechers like you). Most bots have a queue so once an d/l slot becomes open, the next person can d/l the file they wanted.


Okay, I thought that was what it meant. Since I had never heard that expression used that way, I thought it might have had an alternate meaning of sorts. <--- semi-newbie

Actually, I haven't encountered much of a waiting issue. It's just that I don't have much time for DLing stuff.
_________________
Secretary of the Anime Club of Lehigh University (ACLU?)
Please visit my Anime Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rixot



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
This is a real problem in warez, movies and mp3s channels but I've yet to see an anime or manga group using a rooted bot for XDCC. Most of the groups tend to play more by the rules (overlooking the whole grey area of fansubs and manga scanslations) than the hardcore piracy groups. Smile


Sure, a lot of the more established groups wouldn't touch a root script but there are a few more "questionable" groups that have some awfully suspicious bots. Well this warning was probably a moot point anyways, but at least I'd rather be informed even if the number of groups doing it may be in the vast minority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 23 SQL queries
  Username:    Password:      Remember me