AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movable type vs Wordpress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> Movable Type Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Movable type vs Wordpress Reply with quote

What's more efficient and easier to use? I've only had minor minor experience with Wordpress at the moment, and I'm not very good at CSS either, so editing themes have been a bit challenging.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Movable type vs Wordpress Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
What's more efficient and easier to use? I've only had minor minor experience with Wordpress at the moment, and I'm not very good at CSS either, so editing themes have been a bit challenging.

You'll need to know CSS for MT as well, but you won't need to deal with PHP (at least as much, not sure if it's not at all).

MT generates its pages statically, so it has to be updated when new content arrives. Word Press is entirely dynamic, generating the page from the database on the fly every time it's requested. Under heavy traffic MT causes less CPU load than WP, but there are caching plugins for WP that helps a lot.

Really I'd say it's mainly preference.
kevin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: t Reply with quote

Okay thanks for the info.
I saw someones movable type blog and thought it looked very nice, simple and clean, but very nice. It had the preview before post thing, but I didn't know you had to update the page everytime you post. When I first loooked at it I thought it was a wordpress blog with the powered by removed, but it wasn't
MT seems very hard to install compared to WP, and the free version only allows 1 user. WP has a larger growing community so I think that it may soon have even more features

so i guess ill go with WP
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: t Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
Okay thanks for the info.
I saw someones movable type blog and thought it looked very nice, simple and clean, but very nice. It had the preview before post thing,

The preview before post is an anti-spam thing right? I think there are plugins for Word Press that'll give you equivalent functionality out there.

kevin wrote:
but I didn't know you had to update the page everytime you post. When I first loooked at it I thought it was a wordpress blog with the powered by removed, but it wasn't

I'm not 100% clear on how and when it rebuilds but I do know it's static not dynamic. I think it automatically rebuilds the page when a comment is added but I remember someone saying something about rebuilding all the pages with the MT blog. That was some versions back so I don't know if that's changed or not.

kevin wrote:
MT seems very hard to install compared to WP, and the free version only allows 1 user. WP has a larger growing community so I think that it may soon have even more features

I've never tried installing MT so I have no idea myself. Then again it wouldn't really be saying much because I'm an experienced systems administrator so both would probably be easy to me. Smile

There's a project out there trying to develop a multi-blog version of Word Press too. It's still in alpha state but it's quite interesting, basically one install and you can add new blogs to it without new installs and everything. Smile
kevin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: z Reply with quote

okay i've been experimenting with mt for the past few hours. It's okay but its pretty hard to use around. When I try to copy the css sheet of one of the official default templates, the right bar goes to the bottom. I dont' like how it has to rebuild each time too.
it is pretty easy to install

i'll probably stick to wordpress
Zeb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the more recent version of MT you can set it to update dynamically.

To be honest with you, I am so used to MT, when I changed hosting services I had to install MT. Time consuming initially, but it's what I know ^_^;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> Movable Type Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: