AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Pet Peeves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty good at discerning between Japanese vs. Korean vs. Chinese but sometimes I get the latter two mixed up. And we all know that no one else in Asia matters anyway. (o_O Kidding).

I am often mistaken for being full Mexican, even though I'm only half. I wish I could relate to the ambiguous Asian identity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saria wrote:
I'm pretty good at discerning between Japanese vs. Korean vs. Chinese but sometimes I get the latter two mixed up. And we all know that no one else in Asia matters anyway. (o_O Kidding).

I'm better at telling between the languages if I hear them speaking their native language. That way I can get a better idea where they're from. Smile

Saria wrote:
I am often mistaken for being full Mexican, even though I'm only half. I wish I could relate to the ambiguous Asian identity.

People never mistake my origins (well beyond thinking I'm from up north when I was born and raised in the south. Amusingly people from up north can tell I'm from the south but people from the south don't think I have enough of a southern accent.) They tend to be wrong about my sanity a lot, but I'm not saying whether they think I'm sane or not and which is really correct. Wink
Saria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
Saria wrote:

I'm better at telling between the languages if I hear them speaking their native language. That way I can get a better idea where they're from. Smile

Oh, yeah, when they are speaking, it is a dead giveaway for me. If they are speaking Japanese, I know right away because basically I either understand their Asianspeak or not. XD If they are speaking Korean, it's easy to tell because some of the words sound a lot like Japanese, but you can tell it's not because there are a lot of phonetics in Korean that don't exist in Japanese. And Chinese, well...doesn't sound like either to me. And is usually angrier.

Maestro4k wrote:
Saria wrote:

People never mistake my origins (well beyond thinking I'm from up north when I was born and raised in the south. Amusingly people from up north can tell I'm from the south but people from the south don't think I have enough of a southern accent.) They tend to be wrong about my sanity a lot, but I'm not saying whether they think I'm sane or not and which is really correct. Wink

Yay! Do you have a hick accent or one of those sexy ones? Haha. I guess you wouldn't know. There is that one southern accent that really sounds nice. Others get a bad rap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Problematic
Is a girl darn it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Story! Two friends of mine were talking one day. I don't remember exactly how they got to this topic, but I nearly cried when I heard it.

Friend #1- Are you Chinese?

Friend #2- What no! I'm Vietnamese!

Friend #1- I thought you were asian?

Friend #2- ? *clueless at this point*

Friend #1- Aren't asians, Chinese?

OMG! My expression upon hearing this...PRICELESS! Laughing
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saria wrote:
And Chinese, well...doesn't sound like either to me. And is usually angrier.

That sounds like Cantonese, Mandarin's much different and I don't even know if I've heard any of the other Chinese languages. Smile

Maestro4k wrote:
Yay! Do you have a hick accent or one of those sexy ones? Haha. I guess you wouldn't know. There is that one southern accent that really sounds nice. Others get a bad rap.

Well I can't say for sure if it's sexy or not but it's not a hick accent, I don't drawl or add lots of extra R's to words like some people do. That's probably why most people here think I'm from up north. Laughing
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problematic wrote:

I think this is one of those occasions where retraining with a large, blunt clue-by-four is called for. Wink
love a riddle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chugworth.com/comic.php?id=245
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problematic wrote:
True Story! Two friends of mine were talking one day. I don't remember exactly how they got to this topic, but I nearly cried when I heard it.

Friend #1- Are you Chinese?

Friend #2- What no! I'm Vietnamese!

Friend #1- I thought you were asian?

Friend #2- ? *clueless at this point*

I pretty much burst out laughing after reading this bit. Although, this is kinda sad, in a way.

Oh, and to add to the pet peeve:
- The neverending discussion of fansub legality and licensed titles. When I see a topic to that effect, I try to steer away from the discussion. Argh.
- When people say, you're not an anime fan if you don't like [insert any title].
love a riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet peeves are otaku and gamers in general. I cna't stand pimply-faced otaku who are loud and think they're so 1337 because they read scanlations and watch fansubs and go "WAIWAI NARUTO IS SOOO COOL!" and who masturbate to fictional underaged girls/boys. Brr. Creepy. And the gamers who make me ashamed to step into a videogame store. And the people who clog up the graphic novel section of a bookstore, clocking the shelves where you need to browse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... yes, crowded bookstores. With BENT SPINES.

Online shopping is so much more fulfilling.

"OMGKAWAII!!!1!!11 INUYASHA."

Bite my shiny Asian butt.

Oh, Cantonese does sound "angrier."

They like to stand in streets and yell about merchandise.

Cantonese guy #1: "BUY MY FISH OR DIE!"
Cantonese guy #2: "YOU BUY MY FISH OR DIE!"

Well, at least in NYC Chinatown, from what I hear...
Saria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:

Haha! That's so ironic because I went to NYC for New Year's and we went to NYC Chinatown. It was so angry. ^-^

Yeah I still think Mandarin sounds kind of angry too, though. At least, not as romantic as Korean or Japanese.

But I hadn't heard the full blunt of Cantonese until I watched 2046. Yikes. That movie had no linguistic consistency, though, what with its Cantonese and Japanese dialogue and Spanish music. o_O And I think some German was added in, too. So I guess Cantonese wins the Angriest Chinese category.

Oh, and one pet peeve:

People who hate people for no good reason at all. (And there are hardly any good reasons to hate anyone).

Now, for counter-hypocrisy purposes: I may complain about a lot of anime characters, but I don't hate any of them. And they are just that. Anime characters. Fictional. What you see of a character in an anime is all you are supposed to see, and you are allowed to judge that character because any important information regarding them is given to you by its creators. But with real people, I don't think you can judge them correctly because you will never know a person 100%.

And hate and prejudice make my panties sad. :<
Julian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I'm kinda late here...

Well, my turn:

-People touching my anime stuff or Saturn games collection without my approval
-People telling me to talk to them when I'm on the computer (I can't do these two things at the same time)
-People talking to me when I'm listening music with earphones
-People touching my hair (even for 1 second)
-A 300MB download finishing In 4 hours
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten wrote:
The neverending discussion of fansub legality and licensed titles. When I see a topic to that effect, I try to steer away from the discussion. Argh.

That is a bad one, although I'm bad about avoiding them because I have fairly strong feelings about the topic. (Being a fan dating back to when anime was pretty hard to come by at retail in the US tends to do that to a person.)

If such a topic ever pops up on the forums I'll lock it if it starts getting heated. That and stay out of it so I don't inadvertantly make it get heated. Embarassed

Ten wrote:
When people say, you're not an anime fan if you don't like [insert any title].

Well those people can be fun to toy with, especially if you've seen more rare titles (titles that barely got fansubbed (or didn't get fansubbed)). You can just throw it back to them by saying they're not a true fan until they've seen such-and-such title that you know they've likely never even heard of. Wink Their reactions to this tend to be fun for a while. Laughing

TokenAsian wrote:

To me it's more guttural, but I can see where that could be taken as "angry" to some. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:

Must be loads of fun to buy fish down there. Razz

Saria wrote:
Haha! That's so ironic because I went to NYC for New Year's and we went to NYC Chinatown. It was so angry. ^-^

Apparently it was just the fish sellers causing that. Wink

Saria wrote:
And hate and prejudice make my panties sad. :<

I'm so not touching this, although I'm tempted to ask any number of things. Laughing

Julian wrote:
-People telling me to talk to them when I'm on the computer (I can't do these two things at the same time)
-People talking to me when I'm listening music with earphones
-A 300MB download finishing In 4 hours

Hah! I deal with all three of the above weekly! Thankfully the slow downloads are at work but that makes it even more annoying because it's generally something I need to get my job done! Shocked Had to download an 880MB CD Image from Apple's website Thursday, took me 5 hours to do it. Evil or Very Mad

Most of the time when people talk to me when I have my headphones on it's at work and I don't mind that as I'm there to work not just listen to music. Granted I'd prefer to be left alone but with my job responsibilities it's not realistic to expect that to happen everyday. Smile Same thing for talking to me while I'm working on the computer although that doesn't bother me too much as I just keep working. I can actually talk to someone and work on the computer at the same time. Just call me the king of multi-tasking. Wink (A side note, this drives people who talk to me on the phone nuts as they can hear the keyboard clicking away as I talk to them. A lot of people assume this means I'm ignoring them. Sad )
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it weirder if I said "Racism makes my socks and boxers sad?"
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Why is it weirder if I said "Racism makes my socks and boxers sad?"

Maybe not weirder, not as cute though. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: