AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Sweet Snackin'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid roadside food when I travel but I did enjoy some fried goodies when I went to Hong Kong one time. Not sure what it is called but I think they open at night.

Maestro4K wrote:
I had beef bowl a few times but not at any roadside stands. It's really good, and an amazingly cheap meal, no wonder it's popular with college students in Japan.

There's Japanese restaurant just walking distance from where I work. They serve cheap (only $5) and delicious beef bowl. Their sushi is pretty good too but it can be a bit pricey if I get it ala cart. Anyway, I always order their yakiudon (which I enjoy) and their Jasmine green tea. That restaurant serves excellent tea.
Wyk72

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this drive for food this forum has Very Happy

I've skimmed trough your posts, and I add my contribute..

Snacks .. I'm really not into it, but, for a quick sandwich I usually get this:

http://www.parmaham.com/

since it's available. Just two very thin slices of bread (bread from tuscany is the best,imo) and some parma ham between them. Even local ham is very good, but quite salty (the parma ham is famous because is not salty at all - we call it "prosciutto dolce" i.e. "sweet ham").

I prefer to avoid "canned" stuff like pringles and the rest. After all, living in the countryside _must_ have some advantages.

Also a couple of boiled eggs with just salt,pepper and good olive oil do the trick 4 me. I'm a simpleton for snacks, since I rarely ... snack Wink
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byakko wrote:
There are always different sort of microorganisms in a different environment. The people in China/Japan and even the US have all gotten used to their own microbes so they don't get sick with the food or water. But if you go to another country, you're so swamped with different microbes that you may fall ill to even a weak cold-like bug there that you just weren't exposed to before.

Well yeah but Token Asian said "food poisoning" which is generally a strain of salmonella or another bacteria and generally affects most people, that's what I was confused about. If it's just local flora that's understandable. Smile

Byakko wrote:
Heh....my teacher today was heavily advocating drinking beer because it's much safer to drink in other countries because its microbe free. I guess it's a good idea to do, if I was over 21. (Just don't get too drunk and get thrown in jail Wink )

If you're somewhere like Tokyo where you don't need to drive to get anywhere you don't even have to worry about getting drunk! Laughing Hell, if you miss the last train home you can even sleep in a lovely hole in the wall (aka a capsule hotel) so you're all set up! I drank beer when I couldn't get water because I don't like tea and I don't drink any soft drinks. In fact I'd just not have a drink if neither water or beer were available. Smile

Wyk72 wrote:
I like this drive for food this forum has Very Happy

I've skimmed trough your posts, and I add my contribute..

Snacks .. I'm really not into it, but, for a quick sandwich I usually get this:

http://www.parmaham.com/

since it's available. Just two very thin slices of bread (bread from tuscany is the best,imo) and some parma ham between them. Even local ham is very good, but quite salty (the parma ham is famous because is not salty at all - we call it "prosciutto dolce" i.e. "sweet ham").

I've never had Parma Ham but I do much prefer sweet ham over salty ham. We have what's referred to as "country ham" here that's way too salty, I don't see how anyone eats the stuff. Shocked

Wyk72 wrote:
I prefer to avoid "canned" stuff like pringles and the rest. After all, living in the countryside _must_ have some advantages.

Also a couple of boiled eggs with just salt,pepper and good olive oil do the trick 4 me. I'm a simpleton for snacks, since I rarely ... snack Wink

I'm too tired (or to lazy or even both) to cook most of the time so whatever's quick is fine. At least I can get to bed sooner that way. Smile
Wyk72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:

I've never had Parma Ham but I do much prefer sweet ham over salty ham. We have what's referred to as "country ham" here that's way too salty, I don't see how anyone eats the stuff. Shocked

Yeah. I don't want to get too "technical" on ham Smile .. this is still an anime board, but there's a reason why Parma ham is so special and not salty at all. It's connected to Parmesan cheese, strange as it sounds Rolling Eyes

In this part of the world there's freaky (but tasty, nevertheless) stuff about food&wine.

I've seen on tv once that in some part of China...they jave fried scorpions as snacks?

Yuck ...
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they have fried scorpions.

Protein, man, protein...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyk72 wrote:
Yeah. I don't want to get too "technical" on ham Smile .. this is still an anime board, but there's a reason why Parma ham is so special and not salty at all. It's connected to Parmesan cheese, strange as it sounds Rolling Eyes

Doesn't sound strange, in fact it helps explain the name. Smile Feel free to get technical, I'll admit I'm curious about it. Smile

Wyk72 wrote:
In this part of the world there's freaky (but tasty, nevertheless) stuff about food&wine.

I've actually been to Italy, I don't remember what city we stayed in but I visited Venice for a day and went to an open-air opera in a third city. This was back in 1989. I remember we went to a resteraunt and ordered pizza and found out it was nothing like what we call pizza here in the US. Well it was made on round dough, but the similarities pretty much stopped there. Laughing It was quite good though. I remember I had a glass of white wine from small a restaraunt in Venice. Apparently it was homebrewed or something but I swear it would have made good paint thinner. Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:

Protein, man, protein...

I think I could handle fried scorpions faster than crawfish. There was an annual crawfish cookout for the Engineering department (all the students, staff and faculty) each year at the University I went to. Free or not I wouldn't go near it, those things are digusting looking. Shocked It probably didn't help that I used to hunt for them in the creek when I was a child so I knew what they looked like pre-cooked.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booo, I like crawfish!
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
Wyk72 wrote:

Doesn't sound strange, in fact it helps explain the name. Smile Feel free to get technical, I'll admit I'm curious about it. Smile

Wyk72 wrote:

I've actually been to Italy, I don't remember what city we stayed in but I visited Venice for a day and went to an open-air opera in a third city. This was back in 1989. I remember we went to a resteraunt and ordered pizza and found out it was nothing like what we call pizza here in the US. Well it was made on round dough, but the similarities pretty much stopped there. Laughing It was quite good though. I remember I had a glass of white wine from small a restaraunt in Venice. Apparently it was homebrewed or something but I swear it would have made good paint thinner. Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:

Protein, man, protein...

I think I could handle fried scorpions faster than crawfish. There was an annual crawfish cookout for the Engineering department (all the students, staff and faculty) each year at the University I went to. Free or not I wouldn't go near it, those things are digusting looking. Shocked It probably didn't help that I used to hunt for them in the creek when I was a child so I knew what they looked like pre-cooked.

I think a scorpion would taste similar to shrimp. My bro ate fried cricket for a dare, but it backfired because apparently it tasted good and everyone wanted to have some of it. ^^;; They say it tastes like shrimp. o_O
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Booo, I like crawfish!

I've never had good crawfish. =( The last time I ate crawfish, it had been melted and refrozen, so the meat was kind of funky. =/ I want to try some good crawfish.

Did any of you try monkfish yet? Now that's an awesome fish. o_O Its texture is sort of like lobster and we cook it sorta like steak. Man...its so good. ^__^
Wyk72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:

Ahem.. *wears his "Mr-Know-All" hat*

There's a kind of "chain" in the making of Parmesan cheese and Parma ham. It's like that:

- cows get bred in the "pianura Padana" - which is the plains around Parma. They must be fed only there with the grass that grows there, to get all these "certifications" (that keep that skyrocketed-price even higher).

- In THEORY they should use only italian cows. But nowadays they use cows from Holland (i.e. "frisona" race), because they are sort of small milk factories, producing something like 10.000 lt of milk in their entire life.

- The milk, then is used for Parmesan Cheese. It's rather complicated stuff, and has to made in a very traditional way (it's an 800 years old procedure...) - just to keep the price higher Smile (j/k). Nowadays, I doubt they use the process described in their website...

- When Parmesan is made, they get "what's left" of the process - mostly coagulated proteins (they coagulate in a globular fashion -i.e. in small "balls") , a sort of (very poor in fats) "cottage cheese".

- This "cottage cheese" is then dried up and fed to the specially-selected pigs which will make the Parma Ham. That's what gives this particular "sweet" taste to this ham, and keeps the meat "rich" (high protein content) but not (very) fat. Of course other factors contribute to the result, but that's the "secret" behind it. That's why it's a very local specialty. I believe some producers cheat heavily, but it's quite easy to compare real Parma ham and a fake one.

Other "simpler" hams have to be salted heavily, because the meat gets a rancid flavor otherwise, but not so with -real- Parma. They can keep salt
much lower (about half).

In Spain, they make also the very special "Patanegra" ham. It's also a very very special product, and it's made by feeding the pigs an ABNORMAL quantity of acorns. The pigs get so abnormally fat, that the hams produced are ... oily, and they have a taste of vegetable oil.

Of course I'm oversimplifying the entire matter.

That's why I said it's freaky stuff Smile

Maestro4k wrote:

I've actually been to Italy, I don't remember what city we stayed in but I visited Venice for a day and went to an open-air opera in a third city. This

I'm sorry for your food experience in Venice. I hate how Venice is run, they just keep on hitting the pockets of tourists, giving them food products of the LOWEST quality, and at obnoxious prices. If you ever come by, give me a call Smile I'll let you have the REAL stuff. Don't EVER believe the "home made" wines. They usually give you the crappiest stuff.

Maestro4k wrote:

I think I could handle fried scorpions faster than crawfish. There was an annual crawfish cookout for the Engineering department (all the students, staff and faculty) each year at the University I went to. Free or not I wouldn't go near it, those things are digusting looking. Shocked

Me too ... I live near the sea, and crawfish is eaten in large quantities. But I just can't eat it. Ok, if there's really NOTHING left available... Confused
Most of my friends love crawfish INSANELY. I've seen *overkill* quantities
of crawfish eaten. The dishes with the remains were .. 1/2 mt tall.
Definitely not my stuff Smile

Gomen for the long post...
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me too ... I live near the sea, and crawfish is eaten in large quantities. But I just can't eat it. Ok, if there's really NOTHING left available...
Most of my friends love crawfish INSANELY. I've seen *overkill* quantities
of crawfish eaten. The dishes with the remains were .. 1/2 mt tall.
Definitely not my stuff

O_O O_O crazy......but I'd like to try that someday Very Happy

I've eaten 50 pieces of shrimp one time, but that's nothing compared to 1/2 meters. o_O Well, I ate the head and shell too, so I guess thats why there wasn't that many shells. Razz
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. Crawfish. I love those little buggers. I'm actually a bit allergic to it but I pop in some benadryl to have a go at it. Embarassed
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the craziest things you can do is go to a lousy Chinese buffet place and clean out their shrimp cocktail. Since it's frozen food, they can't ruin it...

... so my record for peeling shrimp exceeded 80 and I lost count.
Wyk72

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most eaten "little bugger" here is this:

We call it "panocchia" in slang around here.

Italian name: "Cicala di mare" (i.e. "sea cicada") - real name "Scyllarides latus" (Latreille, 1803).

Like many of these kind of crawfish they have to be cooked alive ( poor .. ahem.. "things" Sad).

-Smelly boy
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyk72 wrote:
One of the most eaten "little bugger" here is this:

We call it "panocchia" in slang around here.

Italian name: "Cicala di mare" (i.e. "sea cicada") - real name "Scyllarides latus" (Latreille, 1803).

Like many of these kind of crawfish they have to be cooked alive ( poor .. ahem.. "things" Sad).

.....it looks like it has a fat butt. That's a good thing, right? Razz

How do you cook it? Do you just boil it, or do you fry it, etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: