AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you stay sane at work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes overdue books and obnoxious library patrons look pretty tame.

So what happened, did you arrest him or something?
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could arrest people for being stupid. :<
I detained him till he got annoyed (the irony) and left to try and enter from another entrance, but I knew he'd try that so I radio'ed all the other security guards, and told them not to let him in. :>
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a terrorist threat?
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not that paranoid. And sadly enough we don't have the "patriot act" to back us up when we crack down on idiots who use black humor.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goddess for some American foresight against morons. It's good we're all too scared to make jokes about such things. For one thing, I'm glad high school students no longer call in prank bomb threats...
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to say, but we got so used to the terror, after close to a decade (of suicide bombers), that we're not really scared as we are "ready to face what comes" in a way.
I guess it's true a human can get used to anything if you beat him with it long enough.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in a sense that's for the better, because the goal of those barbarians is to terrorize people. When you don't flinch, they blink.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Otaku wrote:
We're not that paranoid. And sadly enough we don't have the "patriot act" to back us up when we crack down on idiots who use black humor.

I think I'd take the black humor over the Patriot Act, it's rather excessive in places. (The secret searches approved by a secret court that we're not even supposed to know exists, much less who's on it really worry me. How do we know they aren't just making it all up and using the secret warrants to harass political opponenets and such?)

TokenAsian wrote:
Thank goddess for some American foresight against morons. It's good we're all too scared to make jokes about such things. For one thing, I'm glad high school students no longer call in prank bomb threats...

Maybe not where you live but we had one at a high school around here not that long ago, about a month or so. They caught them rather quickly and the kids are in deep shit but they still do it.

Nothing's really changed, they still lock down all the other schools and send all the kids outside (to the football field in this case) while police and bomb-sniffing dogs scour the school until it's safe to let them back in. Perhaps there's a bit more urgency but we're in the middle of nowhere terror-target-wise so the odds of it being anything other than a stupid kid wanting out of a test are pretty slim.

Random Otaku wrote:
It's sad to say, but we got so used to the terror, after close to a decade (of suicide bombers), that we're not really scared as we are "ready to face what comes" in a way.
I guess it's true a human can get used to anything if you beat him with it long enough.

I would think that's better than our current reaction here in the US. "If you'll give up all your constitutional freedoms we might be 1% less likely to get attacked again, what do you say?" And the public, by and large, goes "OK." Sad I actually took my trip to Japan in November 2001, and my flight took off out of one of the airports a plane was hijacked from for 9/11. I refused to cancel my vacation, I wasn't about to let the terrorists win like that. Smile A lot of people thought I was nuts, but hey, I figure when it's my time to go it's my time to go.

Personally I'd like to see something more effective done, most of the stuff so far only makes the general public feel safer but hasn't changed anything.
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually took my trip to Japan in November 2001, and my flight took off out of one of the airports a plane was hijacked from for 9/11. I refused to cancel my vacation, I wasn't about to let the terrorists win like that. A lot of people thought I was nuts, but hey, I figure when it's my time to go it's my time to go.

Actually, airplane tickets were extremely cheap after that happened. I think a round trip ticket to London was $200? Or something like that. All I knew that it was a good deal to go on vacations at that time. =/
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byakko wrote:
Actually, airplane tickets were extremely cheap after that happened. I think a round trip ticket to London was $200? Or something like that. All I knew that it was a good deal to go on vacations at that time. =/

I can't remember if I had the tickets yet or not but if I did I only saved about $100 from what I origianlly budgeted (based on quotes early in the year when I was planning). My travel agent had found me a really good deal (far better than I could find online myself!) Smile

I will admit I was a bit nervous when we took off but after we got to cruising altitude I stopped worrying. I was so excited to be going to Japan that I didn't sleep any at all, even though the flight was 13 hours and I hadn't managed to sleep the night before I left either. By the time I crashed at my friend's place in Japan I'd been awake for about 36 hours straight. Needless to say I adjusted to the time change really quickly. Embarassed
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution to jet lag was to just not sleep on the plane.

Dead tired when I arrived in China at night. Zzzz...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
My solution to jet lag was to just not sleep on the plane.

That ended up being my solution, although it wasn't planned that way. Very Happy I even had less to keep me distracted (read sane) on the way there. (A few novels (That's when I finally gave in and read Harry Potter, Vol. 1 on the way to Japan, Vol. 2 on the way to Osaka and back), a magazine or two and the in-flight shit (and shit it was, Takashi's Castle was about the best they had to offer, that gets old after a while too.)

On the way home I had a bunch of anime CDs and a portable CD player loaned to me by my friend. I fell asleep anyway. Slept the entire connecting flight back to home as well. Still had to take a half day off work the next day I was so tired. Oh well. ^_^

TokenAsian wrote:

Just as long as you weren't hallucinating or anything. Wink
Byakko
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

On the way home I had a bunch of anime CDs and a portable CD player loaned to me by my friend. I fell asleep anyway. Slept the entire connecting flight back to home as well. Still had to take a half day off work the next day I was so tired. Oh well. ^_^
TokenAsian wrote:

Just as long as you weren't hallucinating or anything. Wink

He was supposed to be in Japan, not China. Wink LOL
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was on the wrong flight! That would've been ironic.

*comes off plane wearing his yukata and waving Japanese flag*

"Konnichiwa!"

*mob of Chinese people begin stoning Token Asian*
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Yeah, I was on the wrong flight! That would've been ironic.

*comes off plane wearing his yukata and waving Japanese flag*

"Konnichiwa!"

*mob of Chinese people begin stoning Token Asian*

Judging by the number of Japanese people on my flight to Japan the stoning would probably have commenced shortly after takeoff. Wink Not that that's any consolation. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: