AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you stay sane at work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: How do you stay sane at work? Reply with quote

Maybe I have a strange job (OK, actually I do, I do a lot of server and application testing and when I run across show-stopping bugs all I can do is wait till there's a resolution. Ran into one today.) but I end up with lots of downtime at work some days. Today it's not quite lunchtime and I'm bored out of my mind! Shocked Ran into a bug in the OS on the servers I'm testing and have to wait till Apple fixes it to go further with that testing. Since my boss hasn't deigned to actually give me any test machines to try NetInstall on yet (which is also where I ran into a bug) I'm at a point where... I have nothing to do. Yep, I probably shouldn't be complaining but since we're behind a proxy router and a lot of stuff's filtered I get bored fast.

Anyone else out there have similar things happen at work (even if occasionally)? How do you stay sane? Playing games isn't really an option as if I'm seen doing it others will complain. (Although my boss really doesn't seem to care as long as I do my job, which I do. I do Systems and Network adminstration though, everyone else does field work (tech support/etc.) so they don't fully understand what I do and complain a lot anyways so I try to at least look busy even when I'm not.)

Yep, strange topic I know. Very Happy
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a few good mangas and books to read?
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
bring a few good mangas and books to read?

That'd cause even more complaints. Sad I do manage to read some scanslations now and then, Preview on Mac OS X works so-so for that (although I wish it would zoom in to full size automatically.)
Tensai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
That'd cause even more complaints. Sad I do manage to read some scanslations now and then, Preview on Mac OS X works so-so for that (although I wish it would zoom in to full size automatically.)

Try FF View, it's a must have in my opinion. There are a ton of settings that you can play around with, and the only thing that really drives me nuts is the page forward/back keystrokes they chose (but you can change these).

Best of all, it reads Zipped/RAR'ed files, so you can just drag that to the viewer rather than opening it.

-Tensai
rixot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rdesktop into my Windows box at home, and through it read manga, manage downloads, work on coding my webpage, etc. My work blocks every port except for email, http and ssh, so it's practically impossible to do anything fun; I had to tunnel through ssh to even rdesktop to home. Well, at least my isp has good upband. Other than that, just browse the web, read forums, chat, and refresh Ben's Bargains every hour or so. Actually work's been keeping me pretty busy lately so I haven't had a chance to slack lately Sad
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes play KoL during down times. Nanaca crash, even. But I usually just bring out my flashcards. though.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tensai wrote:
Try FF View, it's a must have in my opinion. There are a ton of settings that you can play around with, and the only thing that really drives me nuts is the page forward/back keystrokes they chose (but you can change these).

Best of all, it reads Zipped/RAR'ed files, so you can just drag that to the viewer rather than opening it.

Thanks, grabbed that just now, grabbing a chapter of Negima to test it. I've already read it, but I knew where to download it right quick so good for a test. Smile

Nice on the zipped and rarred files, I'll have to remember to bring some in, Safari always unzips/unrars stuff if I grab it on the web.

Hmm, nice, a lot better than preview! Smile I highlighted the images and chose open in FFView and it had them out of order but I can pay attention to that and fix it before I start viewing. Smile
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rixot wrote:
I rdesktop into my Windows box at home, and through it read manga, manage downloads, work on coding my webpage, etc. My work blocks every port except for email, http and ssh, so it's practically impossible to do anything fun; I had to tunnel through ssh to even rdesktop to home. Well, at least my isp has good upband. Other than that, just browse the web, read forums, chat, and refresh Ben's Bargains every hour or so. Actually work's been keeping me pretty busy lately so I haven't had a chance to slack lately Sad

One of the best ways to get around work around work blocks (if you have the PC and the time) is to run a proxy server at home on port 443. Proxy servers don't proxy 443 since that's https. In my case my upload speed's too low to make this a real alternative. Well that and my near constant downloading at full spped... Embarassed

I think I like it better when I'm busy, at least the day goes by faster. Smile Although I don't miss having one week to completely install a new server and set up a 20 PC lab in. That was stressfuly, especially when I had to leave early one day because of a kidney stone attack. Shocked Got it done though, with exactly one hour to spare. Ouch. Neutral

ten wrote:
I sometimes play KoL during down times. Nanaca crash, even. But I usually just bring out my flashcards. though.

Work blocks that stuff, KoL's blocked too, I'll take a look at it from home tonight if I don't forget.

Flash cards, now that's an idea, although it's also pretty noticeable so I'm not sure how well it'll work. Smile
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Ichigo 100% at Anime-source.com and talk to my coworker about Somethingawful.com.

Yeah, it's not much, but hey, this is a library. You can't exactly hold a party or something.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Read Ichigo 100% at Anime-source.com and talk to my coworker about Somethingawful.com.

Yeah, it's not much, but hey, this is a library. You can't exactly hold a party or something.

Hehe, Ichigo 100%'s a bit too eechi for me to read at work, wouldn't want to get fired. Wink
Jehuty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leech new stuff while playing PSP and watching stuff on laptop o_o
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehuty wrote:
I leech new stuff while playing PSP and watching stuff on laptop o_o

Where do you work? I want to apply there. Very Happy
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

Hehe, Ichigo 100%'s a bit too eechi for me to read at work, wouldn't want to get fired. Wink

Well, I do it on break, so it's not exactly considered "slacking off while on duty."

Put it this way, my old job was the pits, so a bit of manga between shifts isn't that bad. NEVER BE A LIFEGUARD! Working in the university's library is so much more... clean and logical.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Well, I do it on break, so it's not exactly considered "slacking off while on duty."

I work for a K-12 school system, while I'm based in central office and rarely around the kids you can understand why reading something like Ichigo 100% might get me fired, or or off break, especially since I control the servers and network stuff.... Smile
Tensai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add mine, don't like to post stuff like this from work Razz

I'm usually too busy to do any anime watching or manga reading, getting a few minutes for lunch is something of a commodity. I pretty much surf the boards, read blogs, check ADV's daily sales, etc.

Thursday's right now are the best, as I spend most of the day monitoring my machine back home getting filled with RAW goodness. Nothing like coming home to new episodes of Negima, Goddess, and Honey and Clover and Speed Grapher. And... at least until recently, Apprentice UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: