AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funny Asian Things
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Zzzzap! *stunned Token Asian lies on the ground and drools on himself*

Who said it was set on stun? Laughing

I can't say much here, I bought a used copy of the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual last week. (Granted it was only $3 but I'm actually reading it.)

I did find it terribly amusing that there's apparently a team of dolphins and whales that run the guidance and navigation department on the Enterprise. Cool
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My massive cowboy hat dissipated the energy.

So where's the bathroom on the Enterprise?
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
So where's the bathroom on the Enterprise?

They probably use the 3-shells system. Laughing

Ever notice that like every thread is going off-topic one way or another?
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's us we're talking about here... us not going off-topic? Unthinkable!

With all the tea Picard drinks, there has to be a toilet in the Captain's chair or something...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moyism wrote:
Ever notice that like every thread is going off-topic one way or another?

Beats nothing being posted. Smile Although the Random Thoughts thread isn't off topic, it'd be hard to get off topic in it...

TokenAsian wrote:
It's us we're talking about here... us not going off-topic? Unthinkable!

Surely not, why TokenAsian and I would never do that! (In case you're wondering why I singled him out with me sort the member list by number of posts. Wink )

TokenAsian wrote:
With all the tea Picard drinks, there has to be a toilet in the Captain's chair or something...

Well I can tell you there is a head (naval terminology for bathroom) off to one side of the bridge, probably off the hallway to the aft observation lounge since that's directly behind the bridge. I think it mentioned a head in the Captain's ready room as well (reserved for the captain naturally). There are definitely food replicators on the bridge somewhere (don't ask me where though) since the technical guide says so.

The thing is there's another book that's a set of blueprints of the Enterprise. If you want to know exactly where the bathrooms are you'll need that book. Unless it shows up used somewhere for $3 or so I won't be buying it though. Razz

Oh yes, I finally learned what in the hell Ops does. Very Happy That would be short for Operations Manager which alone clears things up greatly. No clue why the Ops station would be by the viewscreen though, they don't have much to do as far as flying the ship. (Also note that on Voyager Ops is behind and to the left of the captain, that's Harry Kim's station). And now that I worked an Asian into the conversation are we somewhat back on topic? Laughing
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, I post a lot? Really?

I now remember there being a bathroom in Picard's room in First Contact. He washes his face after hearing voices in his head.

You know, I never did figure out if Harry Kim was Chinese or Korean. The time he calls home to mom is priceless...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
What, I post a lot? Really?

Nah, not at all. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
I now remember there being a bathroom in Picard's room in First Contact. He washes his face after hearing voices in his head.

Of course that was a different Enteprise than the Technical Manual covers seeing as they managed to blow up the battle section and crash land the saucer in Generations. Smile Interestingly the Technical Manual details a "best case scenario" for landing the saucer section and the actual movie sequence follows it very well, with the main exception being they didn't have time (thanks to the emergency nature of things) to search for the most suitable landing site.

TokenAsian wrote:
You know, I never did figure out if Harry Kim was Chinese or Korean. The time he calls home to mom is priceless...

I don't think anyone really knows, even his entry on Memory Station Alpha (a Star Trek Wiki) doesn't say.

I thought that was hilarious as well, I've see Chinese parents acting exactly like that to their kids (one even college age). Smile I guess some things never change ehh? Laughing
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention a gigantic shockwave...

It'll take more than a few hundred years of spaceflight to change 6000 years of traditions. Poor Harry.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Not to mention a gigantic shockwave...

The shockwave was anticipated actually, the main difference between the one in the book and the movie is that the book's best-case scenario has the saucer crash-landing on a long flat plain instead of in hilly/mountainous terrain. In fact the book says that since it was deemed too expensive to actually test this with a real saucer section it's all based on computer simulations and there is no certainty the saucer will be able to crash-land safely, even under the best-case scenario, and not end up killing everyone inside. That they survived (at least mostly) is testament to how well built the ship was (or how well the script was written I suppose. Wink )

TokenAsian wrote:
It'll take more than a few hundred years of spaceflight to change 6000 years of traditions. Poor Harry.

Yeah, he may wish he'd stayed in the Delta quadrant. Laughing
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the fact that a Bird of Prey took down the Enterprise-D at all surprises me... regardless of surprise and no shields.

Whatever happened to Data's cat? Did it get assimilated in First Contact?

The minute he got home was probably something along the lines of "Aiiya, so many year in Delta Quadrant and you not captain yet? I go speak to admiral and bring him special preserved duck egg."

Well, I get the "Aiiya, three year in college and no girlfriend?" thing a lot...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
You know, the fact that a Bird of Prey took down the Enterprise-D at all surprises me... regardless of surprise and no shields.

Very true, and even given that and the damage why didn't they use the emergency warp-core & antimatter pod ejection system which is there to prevent the ship from blowing to smithereens in case of just such a catastrophic failure. According to the book it has several redundancies, so it should have been functioning. In fact the computer should have ejected it without needing authorization at that point although combat alert does override quite a few built-in safeties.

TokenAsian wrote:
Whatever happened to Data's cat? Did it get assimilated in First Contact?

Laughing Can't you see it now? "We are Borg, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated..... after we take a quick nap." Cool

TokenAsian wrote:
The minute he got home was probably something along the lines of "Aiiya, so many year in Delta Quadrant and you not captain yet? I go speak to admiral and bring him special preserved duck egg."

I remember seeing part of one episode after they'd gotten regular communications up with Starfleet and the conversation went quite a bit like that in fact. Harry's Mom was going to write Starfleet HQ a letter. Laughing

TokenAsian wrote:
Well, I get the "Aiiya, three year in college and no girlfriend?" thing a lot...

I think Futurama made fun of this a lot with Amy and her parents. Granted they made fun of damn near everything but still. Very Happy I think my favorite bit was at their ranch on Mars, I saw a sign in the background that said "You've come to the Wong ranch". Laughing

The Iron Chef spoof was great, the Chairman even pronounced all the English with a Japanese accent (so it was Iron Chefu for example). The theme ingredient was Soylent Green. I swear there are so many cultural references and in-jokes per minute in any episode of Futurama that almost no one could catch them all. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy plot inconsistencies, Batman! Hehe, they needed to blow up the Enterprise. Most people in the audience wouldn't know the difference. Or maybe Klingons are working on their accuracy.

Amy Wong is my hero. She endures all the crazy Chinese parent stuff and speaks Cantonese, which is just added comedy.

"We are the Borg... Meow Mix, Meow Mix, please deliver..."
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Holy plot inconsistencies, Batman! Hehe, they needed to blow up the Enterprise. Most people in the audience wouldn't know the difference. Or maybe Klingons are working on their accuracy.

Seriously I think they just wanted to crash the saucer section so they could build a new less family-oriented Enterprise. (By this I'm referring to the fact that the Enterprise D had all the civilian families on-board, the E has very limited civilian families on it.) At least they got lots of use from the footage, we only got to see the original Enterprise blow up once, not twice, in the same movie. Laughing

TokenAsian wrote:
Amy Wong is my hero. She endures all the crazy Chinese parent stuff and speaks Cantonese, which is just added comedy.

I'm still trying to figure out what she's doing working at Planet Express since her family's so insanely rich (IIRC the sorority she was in was Kappa Kappa Wong). Smile Of course I don't think much of anything in Futurama is supposed to make sense so perhaps I should stop wondering. Wink

TokenAsian wrote:
"We are the Borg... Meow Mix, Meow Mix, please deliver..."

Imagine if they assimilated Morris, now that'd make for some amusing exchanges. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred the old Enterprise. Not that the new Enterprise-E has much luck either.

It's an internship, another Chinese in-joke.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
I preferred the old Enterprise. Not that the new Enterprise-E has much luck either.

Nope, the Borg did quite a number on it, then it really went through hell in Nemesis. It was pretty cool getting to see a huge hole in the bridge where the viewscreen was supposed to be. I think that's the first time ever the forward view was a real view of space (within the fiction of the story of course, we know it's never been real).

TokenAsian wrote:
It's an internship, another Chinese in-joke.

Ahh, I'll take your word for it. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: