AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you stay sane at work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asakomi
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! You must have been exhausted. But falling asleep is one way to stay sane.. Unless of course you have crazy dreams.. in which case you just can't win Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fallen asleep at work a few times, generally a day when I have a kidney stone attack early in the morning and have to take some pain meds. I've always managed to keep my head propped up with my hands looking at the monitor so if someone did come in I looked like I was reading something. Smile Thankfully it's generally a very light sleep so if I hear someone/something I wake up immediately too.

It's kind of scary though, my coworkers complain about things enough as is, I don't want to think about them catching me asleep. Shocked
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I work in an office which is pretty much a fishbowl.

And danggit, I just realized I left my $30 Macross hat in the office. I hope no work study students steal it.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Unfortunately, I work in an office which is pretty much a fishbowl.

Mine is too but I have a slight advantage in that all the other technicians spend their time doing all the regular trouble tickets and I do mostly server (and related) stuff so I spend most of my days back in central office while they spend theirs on the various sites. That leaves me alone in the work area most days.

And don't think I have it easier as when I do have to go to a site it's things like next week's project -- install a new server then migrate an entire computer lab (30+ PCs) from Novell to a Windows domain (based on a Mac OS X Server) along with migrating all the Novell served apps. With luck I'll get it done next week, more likely it'll take through all of the following week as well. Basically my job has long periods of boredom/near boredom (research/test/monitor) and near panic (install/implement/migrate). Shocked I'd rather do that than what the other techs do though so I'm not complaining. Smile As things progress the already implemented sites settle down and since we use Deep Freeze on the lab PCs they start becoming much lower maintenance machines than before. (This is relative though, the process of adding software, if it has to be installed to each PC and not just a network share, is made roughly 5 times lengthier with Deep Freeze involved. It's worth the time though as it keeps the installs from getting messed up after they're finished.)

The real fun is when a site decides to buy software for the lab and not tell us about it for 2+ months then call 3 days after they submit a trouble ticket about the software needing to be installed to ask what the holdup is.... (This happened with the site I'm doing next week.) Fortunately my boss knows they do this shit and when he asked me and I told him the holdup was that I just found out they had new software 3 days ago he just said "OK, no problem." Smile Another site bought this same software though so I already know how the install will go and have solved the problems with making it work. That'll speed things up a bit.

Oh yes, my latest pet peeve is software companies who have no freaking clue what security is. One piece of software at another site is causing major grief for everyone involved (no finger pointing at least, everyone is coming to realize the software company's composed of freaking idiots). The default server install includes an upgrade server. Sounds decent, but it defaults to automatically pulling updates. Then the client installs automatically check for updates, when they find one they try to install it. Since we're working in a multi-user Windows domain the lab accounts don't have administrator rights (nor should they) so this fails. The software doesn't fail gracefully though, it freezes up and refuses to run at that point. I've been trying to figure out how to stop this process but they don't document it very well (not surprising since their install documentation isn't correct either). I think I'm going to have to resort to calling and yelling at them about it. Twisted Evil To make things even worse the UI is hideous, everyone hates it and it's quickly looking like they wasted their money buying it. Oh well, we did try to warn them...

TokenAsian wrote:
And danggit, I just realized I left my $30 Macross hat in the office. I hope no work study students steal it.

Damn, I hope it's still there. Can you go in over the weekend to grab it?
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our university has this "license check" software that constantly connects to your workstation and checks if you've registered your software. Unfortunately, this just takes up all your CPU power and brings everything ot a crashing halt.

I guess nobody will ever use pirated software... or any software at all on these computers. Mission accomplished...

Found the hat. It was lying in a pile of Peanut Chews. Shocked
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Our university has this "license check" software that constantly connects to your workstation and checks if you've registered your software. Unfortunately, this just takes up all your CPU power and brings everything ot a crashing halt.

I guess nobody will ever use pirated software... or any software at all on these computers. Mission accomplished...

Sheeze, much better to just tie them into a Windows domain and give users non-privledges accounts (so they can't install software). That doesn't kill performance at least.

TokenAsian wrote:
Found the hat. It was lying in a pile of Peanut Chews. Shocked

Good deal. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything worked perfectly, most of the tech people would be out of a job. Troubleshooting is probably most of their work.

*steals Peanut Chews*
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
If everything worked perfectly, most of the tech people would be out of a job. Troubleshooting is probably most of their work.

Everything never works perfectly, just like no OS is perfect, not everyting interoperates well and patches have a tendency to break lots of stuff. Then you have viruses and worms to deal with as well as users who are idiots as well as the ones who deliberately try to break things (generally in the process of trying to escalate their priveleges). Trust me when I say we don't terribly like all the troubleshooting.

Besides, in my experience computers manage to find new and really weird ways to fail regularly. I swear some of them do it to spite me. Twisted Evil
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, guess you're right. Though it does seem the tech people slack off a lot. The "tech guy" in Lehigh's math department is actually a professor. It's easier to call him than to submit a request.

Are the computers made in China? Perhaps they sense you like anime.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Hmmm, guess you're right. Though it does seem the tech people slack off a lot. The "tech guy" in Lehigh's math department is actually a professor. It's easier to call him than to submit a request.

This is generally just a perception and lack of understanding of all the work we do. For instance I spend most of my days sitting at one computer all day long. I'm monitoring intrusion logs, system logs, updating services, testing various things, etc. I'm working quite hard but for those who equate working on a computer with moving around, opening the case, etc. they think I'm doing nothing.

We have an extreme case here, a lot of our users think that we're not doing anything if we're sitting at a computer (even if it's theres) trying to troubleshoot a problem. Especially on windows it's near impossible to fix anything without multiple reboots, as well as waiting for patches to download and so on, but if we're not actively typing constantly or tearing a machine apart we're not working as far as they're concerned. It's very tempting sometimes to just not fix the damn thing. Evil or Very Mad

TokenAsian wrote:
Are the computers made in China? Perhaps they sense you like anime.

Some are but not all so I don't think that's the whole problem. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean hanging out with coffee and playing cards nowhere near a computer and stuff like that. I know enough about fixing computers to realize that things take time.

Have you tried hitting the PCs with a paper fan?
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
No, I mean hanging out with coffee and playing cards nowhere near a computer and stuff like that. I know enough about fixing computers to realize that things take time.

Ahh, yeah they're either goofing off or have things working so well they have lots of free time. I'd bet on the former though.

TokenAsian wrote:
Have you tried hitting the PCs with a paper fan?

If they keep misbehaving they get hit with something substantially larger and heavier than a fan. Perhaps unsuprisingly many start working about the time I get said object out to reprogram them with. Wink

And if that fails there's the ever handy Programmers Axe. Not that there's anything left to use afterwards but it sure does relieve stress....
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also doesn't help that the Help Desk/Tech Help people at the front desk in the library are ALWAYS slacking off. C'mon, turn the games off and answer my question... correctly. I asked about connecting my laptop to the LAN printer and they said it doesn't work that way.

Well, I did some research and guess what... it won't work on my laptop, but it's still possible.

Speaking of which, they never did tell me what a "Y: Drive" is.

Stapler works well in a pinch too. Wink
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Well, I did some research and guess what... it won't work on my laptop, but it's still possible.

You do realize that's an oxymoron as stated, it won't work but it's possible it will? Confused

TokenAsian wrote:
Speaking of which, they never did tell me what a "Y: Drive" is.

Could be a lot of things, that's not a simple one to answer without looking at your system to see what's mounted on Y:. Could be a network drive, an internal hard drive, a CD/DVD-drive, etc. For example my DVD burner's drive Y, the virtual drive from Alcohol 120% is drive Z. It gets more fun since I have several internal and external drives as well as virtual encrypted drives and network drives mounted too. Smile (Just my internal and external hard drives get me from C up through H nowadays.)

TokenAsian wrote:
Stapler works well in a pinch too. Wink

Too light, use a chair instead, causes more damage. Wink If that's too much work and you're on an upper floor tossing it out the window is quite effective. You might want to look out for people below first though.... (Can you just see that police report?)
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realized that I'm totally confused. Rolling Eyes

HEADLINE: "FAMED ANIME BLOGGER ARRESTED FOR CLOBBERING PEDESTRIAN WITH HARD DRIVE."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: