AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereotype for most university-educated Asians since we study until our eyes fall out.

As for watching a series per week... It's called Netflix and scrounging off of friends for DVDs and fansubs. No way I can buy/torrent an entire series every week.

People who hold up random sexually suggestive signs at anime cons should be deported to... um, Alaska. Oh, and I have one of those "I want a Japanese girlfriend" shirts, but it doesn't fit me. I do have one of those "Respect the Emperor, Expel the Foreign Barbarians" shirts coming in the mail, though. It's funnier if you've taken Japan IR.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Stereotype for most university-educated Asians since we study until our eyes fall out.

I can see that (no pun intended), I've noticed anime & manga has many references to people (generally cute girls) needing to wear glasses because they spent so much time studying they made their eyes go bad. (Naru from Love Hina is one notable example I can remember.)

TokenAsian wrote:
As for watching a series per week... It's called Netflix and scrounging off of friends for DVDs and fansubs. No way I can buy/torrent an entire series every week.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I probably could torrent one a week nowadays. Comcast's up to 4mbs download and I can max it at that constantly, I appear to be fortunate and am the only big bandwidth user on my node. Very Happy It amazes me how fast things come down at that rate, I freed up about 120GB last weekend, now I'm out of space again. Shocked

TokenAsian wrote:
People who hold up random sexually suggestive signs at anime cons should be deported to... um, Alaska.

I don't think Alaska would appreciate or deserve that. Razz Let's just send them all to a currently uninhabited island. Hey, we could probably get someone to turn that into a reality TV series...

TokenAsian wrote:
Oh, and I have one of those "I want a Japanese girlfriend" shirts, but it doesn't fit me. I do have one of those "Respect the Emperor, Expel the Foreign Barbarians" shirts coming in the mail, though. It's funnier if you've taken Japan IR.

The sheer fact you own one's kinda scary. Wink I know enough Japanese history to see the humor in that one. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Narusegawa. That's a good example of what happened to me. It also doesn't help if you're drying your eyes out during Halo...

I'm not sure, but whenever I plug in my LAN cable at Lehigh, it says 100 MBPS, but that just sounds ridiculous, so I dunno... We have a 2 GB upload/download limit per 72 hours anyway.

We'll build an island off of the coast of California...

... and make them all wear "Sonno Joi" shirts.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
Ah yes, Narusegawa. That's a good example of what happened to me. It also doesn't help if you're drying your eyes out during Halo...

What's Halo got to do with it? I don't think reading has too much of an effect, I first had to get glasses in 3rd grade with my eyesight having deterioated drastically since the previous year but mostly in one eye (my left). It has gotten worse since but that was the largest change. I've read far more since then that I had before. I'm actually legally blind in my left eye without glasses and they can no longer correct it 100%. This works out better than it would sound like as my eyes compensate for each other. I can see better closeup with the left eye, my right eye I see better far off, even with glasses. I think it's kind of strange but at least it works. Very Happy

TokenAsian wrote:
I'm not sure, but whenever I plug in my LAN cable at Lehigh, it says 100 MBPS, but that just sounds ridiculous, so I dunno... We have a 2 GB upload/download limit per 72 hours anyway.

That's probably correct, most places have standardized on 100Mbps LAN, many are moving to Gigabit Ethernet as well. The limiter is your campus' uplink connections though which are probably well under 100Mbps. You'll probably get 100Mbps (or close to it) within the campus network though.

2GBs per 3 days? Shocked That sucks. Sad

TokenAsian wrote:

What's "Sonno Joi" mean?

I was thinking more like sticking them on an island in the Bermuda Triangle, it's already pretty strange there. Wink
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Asians are just... naturally impaired visually and reading a lot has nothing to do with it?

Actually, I think it's 2 GB per 72 hours per LAN port (at least in the dorms) and the port that I use probably has no limit since it's in the library and hundreds of people use it every week.

Of course, I've never tried passing the limit because I need to do research and getting stuck with 56K doesn't sound like a good idea.

We could make a new country for them. Like the nation of French stereotypes (I saw that on Futurama today).
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Just read that Jeff will be closing down his anime blog. End of an era? It's rather depressing. Hope he'll change his mind, though. Sad
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa, that is sad news. 2 anime bloggers in the same month, crazy.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's not a good sign...
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time two more people asked me to host them though so perhaps it balances out. Smile
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that depends... Oh, well, just hope for the best.
moyism

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, this is for Random Otaku if he wanted a better Lunamaria avatar but for all the Lunamaria fans out there...

*NSFW* *NSFW* here and here for some Lunamaria bandaged goodness *NSFW* *NSFW*
moyism

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spent the past 5 hrs reformatting the laptop and whatnot. Was it worth all the trouble? So far, yep!
animeronin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro4k wrote:
TokenAsian wrote:

What's "Sonno Joi" mean?

I was thinking more like sticking them on an island in the Bermuda Triangle, it's already pretty strange there. Wink
Here's my thought on that topic.

I used Babelfish to do the translation for the phrase, and it said: Joy of loss

Maybe that's what it meant.
moyism wrote:
whoa, that is sad news. 2 anime bloggers in the same month, crazy.
Maestro4k wrote:
At the same time two more people asked me to host them though so perhaps it balances out. Smile
Two in, two out. That is a balance.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a political slogan meaning "Revere the Emperor, Expel the Foreign Barbarians" that was devised following the Perry naval incident in Japan.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
spent the past 5 hrs reformatting the laptop and whatnot. Was it worth all the trouble? So far, yep!

Speaking of laptops, I just got my first one ever (for free no less). Smile A friend's laptop got messed up and since there's a possibility that it's hardware related (and there was a great sale at Best Buy) they bought a new one. They gave me the old one for helping them get the new one setup and everything transferred over. It's fairly decent too, has a 1.2Ghz Celeron, 768MB RAM and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive. Smile Keep your fingers crossed that a simple reinstall will fix it! Very Happy I'm really excited about it, I've always kind of wanted a laptop but just couldn't justify the expense since I'd only use it at home. Sad

animeronin wrote:
Two in, two out. That is a balance.

Almost, one already has a site but is moving to better hosting (us), the other is new though. I think the balance is close though because they'll have more freedom with their new site. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
It's a political slogan meaning "Revere the Emperor, Expel the Foreign Barbarians" that was devised following the Perry naval incident in Japan.

Ahhh, so that's what it was. Razz

BTW TokenAsian, I ended up reading a translation of the Chinese Emporer's (at the time, I forget the name) response to King George III's request for opening up China to more trade. (Someone linked it off of a discussion on Slashdot.) I found it most interesting, and I imagine it ticked the British off quite a bit. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 10 of 52

Jump to: