AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asakomi wrote:
Well that's the point isn't it? Very Happy

No need to get out the pointed objects, I'll agree with you. Wink

Asakomi wrote:
and thanks!

Anytime, I have a computer named after her at home, she's one of my favorite characters. Smile
Asakomi
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought # 2

I love coffee and applesauce
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may seem cliched, but I like cheese with my apples...

Yes, totally random.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
It may seem cliched, but I like cheese with my apples...

Yes, totally random.

That's better than cheese with your whine. (No that's not a typo.) Wink

On the random note, I fucking hate work! I hate my job, I hate the place I work, everything. Been working my ass off and am completely unappreciated.

Sorry to vent, but it's been a horrid day (actually it's been a horrid few weeks but today capped it off). *sigh* Sad I don't want to go into details and I know that in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal (compared to what's happened down in New Orleans it's nothing) but it's more than I could really handle at this point.
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I got laid off at my library job right after running up a lot of purchases last week. Then my boss decides to give me temp hours because they're shorthanded... After which they decide they can find cheaper labor from work study students so I'm told I need to find another job...

And now I'm hired again for a more permanent job...

Work can really suck. I hope this new job works out...

The thing I hate is that these work study students have zero experience while I have over three seasons of experience... I hope they get the job done right, or I'll be cleaning up their sloppy work this summer. Last year, they found a shelver had stashed all his books under a desk and slept through his shift. Took us a while to find the "missing" books too. Geez...
Ten
IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in with the 'work sucks' anthem. Yeah, work can be very stressful at times, especially when partnered with lazy co-workers. Ugh. Anyway, I'm just glad I'll be having a three-day weekend.

On to more suckage, the gas prices are getting ridiculous now. It now take almost thirty bucks to fill up my tank. I used to spend just fifteen a week. T___T Man, when it becomes 3.50/gallon I'll be crying buckets.

Have to agree with Maestro that this seems rather irrelevant compared to the New Orleans situation. I've been seeing quite a few Lousiana plates down here in Houston. It's really heart-breaking to see the place covered in water. *sigh*
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten wrote:
On to more suckage, the gas prices are getting ridiculous now. It now take almost thirty bucks to fill up my tank. I used to spend just fifteen a week. T___T Man, when it becomes 3.50/gallon I'll be crying buckets.

I know the pain. For right now, Northern NJ seems to be doing 2.75/gal while Southern NJ is 3.30/gal. Messed up huh?! I guess, in a sense, I'm glad my temp job is over with since I was driving 80 miles per day and had to refill the tank at least twice a week.

Rents were paying for the first week or so but I decided to pay for the rest. Think I lost a good $100-200 in change for gas (2ish weeks)? Probably about the same amount for da rents for that first week or two.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
I know how you feel. I got laid off at my library job right after running up a lot of purchases last week. Then my boss decides to give me temp hours because they're shorthanded... After which they decide they can find cheaper labor from work study students so I'm told I need to find another job...

That really doesn't surprise me, Universities are always getting pinched and work study students are essential free labor to the various departments/library/etc. (All we had to do was track their hours and file their time cards, not a penny came out of our department's budget to pay for the work they did.)

TokenAsian wrote:
And now I'm hired again for a more permanent job...

Work can really suck. I hope this new job works out...

Glad you got another more permanent position and I definitely hope it works out for you. Smile

TokenAsian wrote:
The thing I hate is that these work study students have zero experience while I have over three seasons of experience... I hope they get the job done right, or I'll be cleaning up their sloppy work this summer. Last year, they found a shelver had stashed all his books under a desk and slept through his shift. Took us a while to find the "missing" books too. Geez...

That's the real downside to work study students, not so much the lack of experience (they can learn easily enough) but that the vast majority don't seem to give a shit and do whatever they can to not do the work they're hired for. I used work study students to watch the computer labs, just watch to make sure people didn't try to walk off with stuff, and still the vast majority couldn't be bothered to actually DO it. They were required to be logged in while in the lab on a specific PC (reserved for lab staff) and they wouldn't even manage that much. We rejected any hours on their time cards that weren't validated by logins. We did have one that decided to be ingenious and log in then leave the lab and come back to log out at the end of his shift. Not only did he get busted by the students in the department (word always got to me when the students supposed to be monitoring the labs weren't there) but he would do this during the day when I was at work. I would periodically check the labs and caught him red handed one day.

It's pretty sad when you get fired from a work study job that requires just sitting in a computer lab for a few hours...

Ten wrote:
I have to chime in with the 'work sucks' anthem. Yeah, work can be very stressful at times, especially when partnered with lazy co-workers. Ugh. Anyway, I'm just glad I'll be having a three-day weekend.

I think I'd take lazy coworkers, but I'm the only one here who does server and network admin so it wouldn't affect me much. I would like some coworkers who actually bothered to understand about my health problems and not just assume I don't want to work whenever I can't make it in on time or at all. That's caused untold amounts of stress (which just makes my health worse) and other problems.

I'm definitely looking forward to the long weekend but I have to go reinstall a friend's computer this evening after work so mine won't start until about.... 2-3am Saturday morning probably. At least I'm getting dinner out of it and this friend's a gourmet cook so it balances out. Smile I do think I'd rather stay home and rest but I already promised to come fix it tonight.

Ten wrote:

Yes the gas prices are freaking nuts! It actually takes me around $30 a full tank anyway (Been running close to $2.50 a gallon and my tank holds about 18 gallons) but I'm scared to fill up with the current prices. My Dad somehow heard that prices were going up 16 cents across town the next morning and told me so I filled up before the jumps started. I'm hoping they go back down to some sane level before I need to fill up again.

Ten wrote:
Have to agree with Maestro that this seems rather irrelevant compared to the New Orleans situation. I've been seeing quite a few Lousiana plates down here in Houston. It's really heart-breaking to see the place covered in water. *sigh*

As heartbreaking as the whole tragedy is what's really the worst is all these looters terrorizing the cities and survivors now. Sounds like the national guard's going to be given orders to shoot to kill if people won't disarm themselves, but they've got to actually get there before they can help. As far as the folks shooting at the rescue helicopters, I think we ought to put a few national guard folks in the helicopters with M16s and tell them to shoot to kill anyone who fires on the helicopters. I have no sympathy for those who are trying to interfere with rescue operations! Sad

moyism wrote:
I know the pain. For right now, Northern NJ seems to be doing 2.75/gal while Southern NJ is 3.30/gal. Messed up huh?!

Prices here, in just one county in the state, range from $2.99 a gallon to $3.39 a gallon for regular. Given the large gap in such a small area I'm inclined to believe the higher priced stations are gouging at the moment. I suspect pressure from the stations selling at regular prices will make them lower their prices out of fear of the state fining them for gouging if nothing else. Price gouging on gas using the disaster in the Gulf as an excuse is pretty low too. I know I'm watching who charges what and will be keeping in mind from now on when I need to buy gas, no matter what the price. Some of these places have already guaranteed they'll never get a penny from me again as long as I live!

moyism wrote:
I guess, in a sense, I'm glad my temp job is over with since I was driving 80 miles per day and had to refill the tank at least twice a week. Rents were paying for the first week or so but I decided to pay for the rest. Think I lost a good $100-200 in change for gas (2ish weeks)? Probably about the same amount for da rents for that first week or two.

Ouch, 80 miles a day? I hope you were making enough to cover the gas costs!
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, a lot of the shooting is done by escaped prison convicts and gang members. Not a match for the National Guard, in any case.

Funny how wage workers are less lazy (statistically speaking) than work study. Why? They get all the cushiest jobs, like sitting at a desk or taking phone calls. So people who work hard to qualify for scholarships (and even free tuition) get the crud jobs? Bah...

Prices are going wild... by American standards. My friend says they pay $5 typically over in Europe. Anyway, it's a mix of certain events coming together. Kind of like a train jumping the tracks and hitting an airplane just as it crashes too!
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokenAsian wrote:
From what I understand, a lot of the shooting is done by escaped prison convicts and gang members. Not a match for the National Guard, in any case.

Irregardless of who they are they're still scum. You'd think even criminals would be smart enough to not impeed their own evacuation from a disaster area. Smile

What gets me is the quote I've seen several times talking about the private ambulance helicopters being shot at where the guy says that people are taking potshots at the copters as a way to say "you'd better come get my family". If that's true then they certainly are doing more to put their families in harms way than they are helping them. The private ambulace helicopters stopped flying because of it.

TokenAsian wrote:
Funny how wage workers are less lazy (statistically speaking) than work study. Why? They get all the cushiest jobs, like sitting at a desk or taking phone calls. So people who work hard to qualify for scholarships (and even free tuition) get the crud jobs? Bah...

To be fair work study's a raw deal to someone who really needs financial aid. Having to pay the money up front then earn it back does not help at all. When I returned to school and got my degree I refused to accept any work study aid because financial aid departments like to deduct it from the total you're allowed to get in aid. I think a lot of work study students would have a better attitude if they knew they'd have to pay the money back at the end of the semester if they didn't do what was asked of them.

Still, in my experience, most of the ones who were lazy would be that way in any case. They just flat out didn't care, and they were also doing poorly in classes. Most lasted one year and dropped out of school.

And to be fair to the work study students who are hard workers. I had a couple who worked circles around the 2nd GRA I had. They got paid far less than he (hell he got a tuition waver, huge for an international grad student) and worked at least 5 times as hard!

Oh yeah, and the reason they get the cushier jobs mainly is because the work study program requires that most work study positions allow for at least some time to study during the work hours. Positions like watching labs are exactly what they want the students to be doing.

TokenAsian wrote:
Prices are going wild... by American standards. My friend says they pay $5 typically over in Europe. Anyway, it's a mix of certain events coming together. Kind of like a train jumping the tracks and hitting an airplane just as it crashes too!

I know we still pay far less than other countries but the suddenness of the rise is what's causing everyone such difficulties. I know it's going to cause my budget serious problems since I'll have to nearly double my gas budget. Shocked
TokenAsian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose like any system, it gets abused by certain people and the entire thing gets a bad reputation.

Yikes... $45 for gas...
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download the latest episode of my fevorite Sci-Fi series. It turns out to be a fake-virus infected file that sends my computer crushing to it's death. It takes me a week to find my original copy of windows. It takes me ANOTHER week to finally get the computer back up.
I do hope the person who posted the torrent for the fake Battlestar Galactica 2x07 episode will have his hands broken for doing it on purpose.

But i'm back, i guess. Shocked
Asakomi
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes... Shocked

welcome back tho!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Random Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be glad we weren't born then... XD
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Otaku wrote:
I download the latest episode of my fevorite Sci-Fi series. It turns out to be a fake-virus infected file that sends my computer crushing to it's death.

A bit late to help you but this is why I virus scan all video files I download. There are security holes in Windows Media Player especially that fake files can exploit and plenty of scum out there willing to infect others.

Random Otaku wrote:
It takes me a week to find my original copy of windows. It takes me ANOTHER week to finally get the computer back up.

What's sad is that if you'd been some Evil Pirate (tm) you could have been back up in no time with a pirated version of Windows. It really annoys me how all the copy protection crap only serves to cause the people who actually buy a legit copy grief. Sad

Random Otaku wrote:
I do hope the person who posted the torrent for the fake Battlestar Galactica 2x07 episode will have his hands broken for doing it on purpose.

I really wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the US trade groups (RIAA or MPAA) or one of their contractors. I know that they hire companies to poison peer to peer networks and a few months back it turned out one of them had found a way to abuse Windows Media files' protected license checking function to cause automatic infection of PCs. There was a lot of outrage among the online community but the main media mostly ignored it (no surprise since most of them are owned by companies that are RIAA and/or MPAA members) and the RIAA & MPAA never even apologized for it. I think the best response was that Microsoft was rather ticked off about it, but I'm sure enough money got thrown their way to calm them down. Sad

Random Otaku wrote:
But i'm back, i guess. Shocked

Welcome back. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 7 of 52

Jump to: