AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index AnimeBlogger.net Forums
Anime/Manga Blogging Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operation: Teach a Man to Fish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omni
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Operation: Teach a Man to Fish Reply with quote

I've been discussing with various people over the past couple of days the idea of creating a comprehensive FAQ site.
I'm sure all of us have recieved some type of "where do you get your anime" or "how do I make a blog" queries. What I'd basically like to do is create a site that we can reference people to. Something where we would post a number of articles detailing various things from WordPress to torrents to setting up setting up Japanese language on your computer. Ideally I'd like to make it a community effort, but if not enough people want to contribute, then I'm sure I can write most of the articles (though reaction has been relatively favorable so far). A lot of this stuff is already floating around the internet (including the FAQs at the top of this forum), but I would love to compile it all into one source.

We're currently thinking of either creating a wiki or a special blog/site for this. The downside of a wiki is that anyone can edit it, but a blog might be a bit of a hassle.

Ideas suggested so far (mostly moyism's):
- IRC
- BitTorrent (Creating, Downloading)
- Japanese p2p (Winny, Share)
- Codecs and Players (People have a lot of trouble with .mkv and .ogm in particular)
- Setting up Japanese Language on your computer
- Blogging (WP, MT, Capping, Writing, What first time Bloggers should know)
- Design (Blog Layouts, Editing Graphics)
- Recommended Applications (Useful software for bloggers or anime enthusiasts)
- Games
- Shopping (to quote moyism: "I think between myself, beerman, and DigiKerot we could write a nice thorough guide about the pros, cons, and where to buy online anime goods")
- Feeds (How to set up feeds so that you're never more than 5 minutes from knowing when something comes out)

How do you guys feel about this idea? And do you have any suggestions for additional topics? All comments welcome Smile
TokenAsian
Most Likely to Spend Too Much

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my honest opinion, shopping for anime needs a more centralized information source.
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be throwing in hosting support for it all. Smile That's a nice long list, and I do feel it'll be a incredibly useful source for anime & manga fans. Hell, I've been doing computer and network stuff for over a decade and I still occasionally run into problems with codecs in particular! (Speaking of that, Mentar's suggestion for playing the Ichigo Mashimaro .mkv's worked like a charm, now I can finally watch them in a player that renders the subtitles well. Very Happy )
moyism
Graphics Virtuoso & IRC Op Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so er.. whatever happened to this operation?
animeronin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moyism wrote:
Wondering about the same thing. Confused
Maestro4k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animeronin wrote:
moyism wrote:
Wondering about the same thing. Confused

There's a site for it and I notice Omni's added a few pages. I don't think he's ready to go live with it so I won't give out the URL yet.

I'm glad you asked though, it made me realize I forgot to up Omni's privleges on the site so he has full control. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AnimeBlogger.net Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: